VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

21 - 40 of 113 Posts

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
That might work on his car but was told by a tuner that the car would go into limp without the DPF. Although they have a motive, I was also told this by someone who removed their DPF. The NA spec cars are probably tuned different.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Maybe it was common with the CJAA's but on my CBEA when I did the downpipe I drove the car for almost a week before I could yank the ecu and mail it of for a reflash. The CEL did come on but the car never when into limp mode (CEL could have been due to the in exhaust throttle body going away). The car did try to run a regen during that time which resulted in a slightly melted reflector. After the retune I picked up between 2 and 5 mpg depending on the type of driving, but no power since the limiting factors are turbo and injectors at 184 hp/334 ft lbs. There is a small puff of smoke on launch but no visible emissions beyond that. Something to note is that what the DPF traps is mostly EGR gunk.

·
Registered
201 Posts
One thing you have to do is connect the two ports on both of the pressure differential sensors.

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
For an interesting read...

http://www.midlandvw.co.uk/20_tdi_dpf_delete.html

From webpage:
"The conversion includes the Milltek DPF delete pipe, labour to fit and Custom Code DPF delete software, some models require a modification to the original DPF rather than the Milltek delete pipe. The cost of this upgrade is £please call.

This upgrade is available for most DPF equiped vehicles.

On our own Leon 2.0l TDI 170 we now see 220hp and 330lb ft of torque on our dyno, which makes the Leon a fantastic car to drive to say the least. Whats more, we have seen an increase of 10 MPG on our car, which is unbelievable - more power and less fuel!?!

So how does more performance, less fuel consumption and no more DPF problems sound?"

·
Registered
97 Posts
Hi,
I have down this on my 08 Ram with the Cummins Diesel with excellent results.
My DW (dear wife) said no way with her 11 TDI Jetta. She likes the idea of the clean diesel.
With that being said, I thought I would provide this link to the SEMA site on diesel engine emission testing by state. For each state they list the gas vehicle testing first than the diesel testing requirements.
http://www.semasan.com/main/main.aspx?id=62776
I am a member of SEMA, which is free to join and they provide you with updates as far as to vehicle regulations that are being proposed for your state.
Jim W.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have the REVO software, as Toeball knows, and I'm really itching to remove my DPF and replace it with a bolt on straight pipe. I'm not too concerned about a CEL, but would prefer to see none and know that the ECU thinks everything is cool (like all right).

I'm not sure if REVO will work with me on a software upgrade that deletes the DPF, but I'm going to do my best to get them to take care of this for me.
My second option, which will be costly, will be to send my ECU to Malone and allow them to flash it.

I'm looking forward to further discussion on this topic.

Scott

·
Registered
201 Posts
I have the REVO software, as Toeball knows, and I'm really itching to remove my DPF and replace it with a bolt on straight pipe. I'm not too concerned about a CEL, but would prefer to see none and know that the ECU thinks everything is cool (like all right).

I'm not sure if REVO will work with me on a software upgrade that deletes the DPF, but I'm going to do my best to get them to take care of this for me.
My second option, which will be costly, will be to send my ECU to Malone and allow them to flash it.

I'm looking forward to further discussion on this topic.

Scott
I ran around for about a week with the stage 2 tune and no DPF before the ECU was reflashed for the delete. I did have a CEL which would have failed my technical inspection in Texas, and at one point the ECU decided to run a regen while I was driving which melted the reflector above my exhaust tip and left me trailing a smoke screen. Make sure you get the right software when you do the delete. The thing I like about the Malone is that it gets rid of everything, the DPF, the flapper valve, and EGR. Oil stays cleaner longer, less wear on the engine, better mileage, all that good stuff.

Oh, here's a video of some full power pulls in second from bog... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_hyRwRaPHg

·
Registered
11 Posts
What about the regen happening on its own? Did Malone delete that too?

Give me some details about your delete...pictures would be great!
I've been under the car, during my exhaust change, and saw where there was a canister right about in the middle of the car, before a cat, and it had a wire harness attached to it. Is that the DPF?

explain where the flapper, EGR, etc... are located.

A schematic would be even better.

So, Malone has created software that takes the delete into account and has mapping values that take advantage of the DPF being deleted?

Thanks!

Scott

·
Registered
201 Posts
Alright, pics... I can do this...

This is Kyle's downpipe (performance-diesel.com)

basically, it replaces all of this...

which is 2 catalytic converters and a diesel particulate filter (the first cat shares a housing with the DPF). There's an extra cat after the computer controlled stuff which is also deleted but the downpipe doesn't replace that, an extra piece of pipe is needed. There's also a flapper valve driven by a stepper motor that connects to the back of what you see in the second picture. This is basically an extra strength throttle valve and is used to pressurize the exhaust and drive gas into the EGR system. The valve and the EGR are also deleted and a cover plate is installed to prevent the intake from venting to atmosphere.

Here's all the stuff that comes off the car, in this case a Golf TDI. After the down pipe, tubing is welded in to complete the exhaust.

In the case of this Golf, a muffler was also added, a Magnaflow 12866. It can be seen peeking behind the fuel tank in this photo.

Next, we remove the wiper arms and cowl cover to expose the engine control unit (ECU).

We then cover the surrounding are and cut a slot across the middle of each security bolt.

The ECU is then removed and mailed to Malone or Performance Diesel, with information regarding the exhaust system and new software is flashed. There are two pressure differential sensors which monitor the DPF. These sensors are re-installed with a piece of soft line looping the two ports together on each sensor. Once the ECU is re-installed and the cowl buttoned up, the car is ready to go.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Great link! I can't believe all that stuff is attached to our cars. Well, except for that Toe fella.

I took some pictures of my car's underside today, before I had a chance to read the above reply with link.

I absolutely want to get rid of all that stuff and let this turbo breathe. Even from a fuel economy stand point, there has to be a dramatic improvement.

Here's the pics I took:

Scott

·
Super Moderator
9,579 Posts
Very clean car scottisha. :D

·
Registered
12 Posts
The main reason I would like to remove the DPF is so I can run higher percentages of biodiesel. B5 (VW limit) is a joke IMHO. I've been running B20 and B50 in my 6.0 Ford since 2008 with no issues. I've run B20 in my JSW but worry about the fuel/oil dilution issue so change my oil at 3K.
I wonder if there is a ECU tune out there that would maximize using biodiesel and factoring the DFP delete?
Since biodiesel has a higher cetane rating more HP could result. Any coments...?

·
Registered
11 Posts
I would like to see an "off road" performance package that included everything need to replace all this emission stuff (dpf, flapper, at least 1 cat, etc) Like a down-pipe and enough section of exhaust to cover the rest. Along with this hardware, there should be a software flash that would safely maximize the potential of the engine with this stuff off the car, while also removing any warning lights, codes, etc...

I'm willing to pay for it, if someone will create it.

Scott

·
Registered
201 Posts
I would like to see an "off road" performance package that included everything need to replace all this emission stuff (dpf, flapper, at least 1 cat, etc) Like a down-pipe and enough section of exhaust to cover the rest. Along with this hardware, there should be a software flash that would safely maximize the potential of the engine with this stuff off the car, while also removing any warning lights, codes, etc...

I'm willing to pay for it, if someone will create it.

Scott
Check that link I posted. There are options on there to do a single high performance cat, or even a high flow DPF. With or without EGR, and the tune level you want. Pretty much what you're asking for.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Toeball,

Explain the sensors set up again. You said:
These sensors are re-installed with a piece of soft line looping the two ports together on each sensor.
And did you have to remove any major components to get the DPF out? I think I read somewhere that the lower subframe had to be removed.

And to be clear,
I need:
1.PDE down pipe
2.remaining exhaust to replace 2nd cat and rest of system to the rear of the car
3. software tune

Am I missing anything? and how difficult was it to install the down pipe?
I've got a great exhaust guy, but I almost think someone who knows these cars should do the work.

thanks for the info Toe!

Scott

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
Yes, the manual says that the front lower subframe has to be loosened but people who have done this said that you can just remove one of the driveaxles for clearance.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Toeball,

Explain the sensors set up again.
There are two pressure differential sensors which monitor the DPF. One sits by the gas strut that holds the hood open on an angled bracket, the other is on the firewall side of the engine. Since there is no DPF to monitor any more, and you can't leave the sensors out without causing a CEL, and leaving stuff vented to atmosphere is less than desireable, you just snip some of the original soft line which was connected to the sensor originally and make a U shaped piece across the sensor.

And did you have to remove any major components to get the DPF out? I think I read somewhere that the lower subframe had to be removed.
Just undo the passenger side CV from the trans. Manual says the subframe needs to come out, it doesn't. You'll have to rotate the DPF as it comes out and pry up on the heat shield on the floorboard but it'll come out. I've already done two this way.

And to be clear,
I need:
1.PDE down pipe
2.remaining exhaust to replace 2nd cat and rest of system to the rear of the car
3. software tune

Am I missing anything? and how difficult was it to install the down pipe?
I've got a great exhaust guy, but I almost think someone who knows these cars should do the work.
It's a pain to do. It takes two guys who know what they're doing about 4 hours for the install. Part of the danger is that there are places where you must apply force and other places where you must not. As long as you take your time it's not horrible, and by the second or third one it should go fairly smoothly. I did the pulls myself both times at the exhaust shops I went to.

21 - 40 of 113 Posts