VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just chiming in here. I tooam having to replace camshaft and timing belt.

125,000miles and having it done privately.

Mainly because last two times car has been to the dealer, I've specifically asked them to change belt and check cam.

Everytime they have said there's nothing wrong with it.

#1 posistion was so badly worn, it was basically square.

Hoping no serious damage was done driving car like this.

Sounds like a Massey Ferguson right now and puffing smoke like a river barge.
is it a problem on these engines?

·
Registered
3 Posts
My 2006 just had the timing belt service at 100K. Well respected TDI service provider in Marysville, OH performed the work. His verdict was that the cam looked good at this time. But it would eventually need changed. My question is how much mileage has someone got out of the stock cam?
I have 2006 BRM with DSG auto with 209,800 miles on her and it is DONE as of yesterday (i had a bad case of the Monday's). I faintly heard something starting at 207,xxxx miles. I didn't expect it to get as loud as it did so soon. I don't know if i want to fix or not. I need to pull cover and inspect.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Mine made it 175,000 miles, with dealer oil changes every 10k, and timing belt at 90k.

The "tractor sound" came this morning, but i've had some exhaust warnings for a while (although I thought they were the EGR sticking... still unsure), the exhaust warnings kept going away though. I guess that was part of the warning, or maybe it was just a coincidence. Took it to a mechanic and they couldn't figure it out, after reading these threads I'm sure its the CAM.

What is an average cost that you see for a private mechanic to do this.. Parts separate from labor?

Cheers

·
Registered
7 Posts
replacing BEW Cam at 206,000

New member, first post. Just started to replace cam. and lifters. Hope that fixes my problem. Started suddenly to feel like I was running on three cylinders with accompanying leaking noises.

I thought I had collected enough info to do the job, but ran into a comment on this forum that said the worst part of the job was "Worst part is sliding lock carrier to service position" I have no idea what this means, or refers to.

Also, is there any reason you have remove the camshaft pulley before taking out the cam? It looks like it would just lift out with the cam after the caps are removed.

·
Registered
1 Posts
New member, Is there a good video on cam replacement before attemting to replace camshaft? Checked camshaft wear at last oil change and had alot of wear on cam lobes. Decided to go with colt cam stage 2 for replacement. Car has 163,00 miles on it now. No noticable loss of power or sound. Use car for a commuter to and from work 125 miles a day. Love the car!!!

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
21 - 29 of 29 Posts