VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

41 - 44 of 44 Posts

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
No, just the front half :)

The NOx filter, H2S catalyst, back pressure valve, and muffler weren't replaced. The parts price of what they replaced is about $1400. They didn't need to replace the clamps though.

·
Registered
100 Posts
BMW Motorrad is a completely different group from BMW cars. BMW bikes have a sterling reliability reputation for good reason, just like how BMW cars have a crap reliability reputation for good reason...
Anyone who says this simply cannot have any familiarity with late-model BMW motorcycles. My '07 R1200RT (same as '05 through '09s) has been through three recalls so far, while still suffering from the very-common, yet unrelated and unrecognized, problem of surging brakes. The dealers have been instructed to deny warranty coverage on the brake issue and to simply tell all customers that it's all their fault. Plus, I can't take any trips on this touring bike because I have to be afraid that my final drive will fail and strand me in the middle of nowhere, which has actually happened to way-too-many people. Then there are minor issues like fuel and ambient temperature gauges that are a bad joke. Mind you, I'm far from the Lone Ranger on any of the problems I've mentioned. Lots of owners are in the same boat. And don't get me started on the '02 Mercedes E-Class that terrorized me for the eight months that I owned it near the end of its warranty period. The potential out-of-warranty costs of keeping it scared me so badly that I traded it in on a then-new '04 R32, which was not trouble free either...

Contrary to popular opinion, for all their "engineering genius", the Germans are actually lagging a good five years behind the Americans in the quality/reliability improvement area...they're just better at PR (and BS!) than the Americans are.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
My 07 K1200R Sport had a failed fuel gauge as did my 09 R1200RT. It requires removing the tank to replace the fuel meter strip which is inside the tank. The sad part is, BMW NA originally tried to blame the ethanol in our fuels but stories abound from Europe of similar failures using supposedly good gas.

BMW seems intent on making the vehicles too complex for people to maintain on their own. It ends up causing them to be less reliable.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Anyone who says this simply cannot have any familiarity with late-model BMW motorcycles. ...

Contrary to popular opinion, for all their "engineering genius", the Germans are actually lagging a good five years behind the Americans in the quality/reliability improvement area...they're just better at PR (and BS!) than the Americans are.
Wow man, have a rough day or something? Did you ever stop to think that my comment was a relativism? BMW's "engineering genius" is a whole big box of irony. They implement technology for the sake of implementing technology, not to improve reliability. Sorry you missed the boat on that one too.

--->ChrisHo: Your car working OK now?

41 - 44 of 44 Posts