VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2010 TDI bought in June (has over 6000 miles on it). So what fun can I expect? O2 sensor? It came on during my morning commute, I was only a few miles into it but since the light is merely a yellow one I checked the manual and drove in; seeing that my dealer is near my work I would have had to drive it anyway.

First car in fifteen years that has had an idiot light come on. Dodge, two Mazdas, Nissan, Infiniti, and a Honda all in that time and none gave me a problem, the TDI has done it twice in six months (the first was because when they topped it off they didn't three click twist the fuel cap)

·
Super Moderator
9,158 Posts
Yet another one that gives the minimal description 2010 TDI. There are many TDI's with VW, Audi, Seat and Skoda and its wrong to assume as it makes an ass out of you and me. :laugh:

Which yellow light was it exactly?

I think chitty should make it a requirement to post the spec as well as an intro? ;)

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
Play nice :) In all fairness, he signed up before car model/year info was required in the profile. Now it's required info when joining so that there are no questions as to what model someone has so as long as someone fills that in when they join there's no questions.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Its a GOLF TDI, like what other TDI matters? :D

Well, its a morning sickness light apparently. When I drove to work yesterday it came on about 2 miles into my commute. It was not when I went home at 3pm; it had been on at lunch. Well this morning it came on again about 5 miles into my commute. Will be interesting to see if it is on when I go home or at lunch, I am fueling the car today.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I won't get to know what the light meant, went to the dealer and they wanted an hour to find out what it meant, told them to take a hike. I am not wasting an hour for them to read a code when the warning light is gone.

An hour? What, are they incompetent or just lazy?

Whats the best after market reader available that is compatible with VW? I will most likely end up at my friends shop this weekend to see if he can pull it.

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
Probably both. Isn't the car under warranty?

Ross tech VCDS. It's pricey but it works well and is updated. It isn't just a scanner, it also does diagnostic tests and reads many computer values. The cable isn't the expensive part, it's the software. You need the one that works with CAN BUS cars.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Ross tech VCDS. It's pricey but it works well and is updated. It isn't just a scanner, it also does diagnostic tests and reads many computer values. The cable isn't the expensive part, it's the software. You need the one that works with CAN BUS cars.
Yeah it is under warranty, however I do not have an hour to waste sitting at the dealer while the run a code. If this is the type of service I can expect from VW I will just as soon ditch the car before its a year old.

That new CT200h coming from Lexus looks very nice and at least Lexus dealers fall over themselves to make you feel good about your purchase.

·
Super Moderator
9,158 Posts
the light is merely a yellow one I checked the manual and drove in;
Which yellow light was it exactly?
I asked you which light but you still haven't said. Are you talking about the Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL)?

Yes the Ross tech VCDS appears to be good but its not cheap. You may find them on eBay but those are mainly for the older VW systems and won't work with the newer HEX-USB+CAN Interface. ;)

·
Registered
100 Posts

It's odd that you should say that. When I bought my VCDS (some time ago), I paid a lot for the cable and the software (and all subsequent updates) was free...:dunno

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
It's odd that you should say that. When I bought my VCDS (some time ago), I paid a lot for the cable and the software (and all subsequent updates) was free...:dunno
Sorry, what I mean is that the cable is probably cheap to build but it's difficult and expensive to make and update the software. If you buy the VCDS the software and all updates come with the cable.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I asked you which light but you still haven't said. Are you talking about the Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL)?

Yes the Ross tech VCDS appears to be good but its not cheap. You may find them on eBay but those are mainly for the older VW systems and won't work with the newer HEX-USB+CAN Interface. ;)
MIL light? It is the engine looking symbol on the bottom right. Straight yellow light. It is not the coil light. Sorry, I am new to TDI/VW so MIL means nothing to me. So far I am not impressed with VW, let alone the dealer.

The light is not on today either. However I did fill up yesterday afternoon.

·
Super Moderator
9,158 Posts
Well I would have thought if the MIL light is on then it should show a code or area where the fault lies. ;)

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Wasn't able to get to my friends house to see if he could tell me what the light is, went and bought another motorcycle instead.

Car is going to dealer on Wednesday. Not impressed at all with VWs at the moment.

·
Super Moderator
9,158 Posts
How many VW dealers are there in your area Chris and how many have your tried? ;)

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
when I picked up my car Wednesday they said part of the delay working on it that day was that they had to call VW to determine what the code was. I guess that code does not come up much, if at all. They also stated they had to order the parts "red" or whatever to get them as they certainly don't have the part.

Rookie, are you implying this is not an easy fix?

·
Registered
91 Posts
I don't know, it's just that it's way back there. It looks like they have to remove an axle to get to the EGR filter.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts