VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I was at the dealer two days ago picking up my car for its 20,000 mile service. While I am waiting for them to bring the car up I am just standing there looking around.

I look over and I see these guys standing by a new red Passat. They are talking to a dealer person. Then two more dealer people come up and start talking to them too. I start to get curious as this is not a normal thing. I decide to go over and take a look at this new red car just because I have never seen this color in person. As I walk over I can tell the two guys talking to the dealer people have thick German accents. I then look at the car and I notice something that shouldn’t be there. It says TDI on the back of the car. I was like am I
my mind?
I walk along side the car and then look inside the window. I see these wires coming from the computer and they go across the dash and inside it. I thought ok WTF....
Then I look at the front of the car, I see a VW sticker and number and such on the car. I walk back to the rear of the car and I now see the car has a MF plate on it. I also see more things that tell me this car is from across the pond.
The two German guys then notice me looking at the car and one comes up to me and say Hi. He opens the door and tells me to have a good look. I was when he said this as I wasnt sure I was "invited" to take a look. He says go ahead, sit down... So, I do with great and then I see something that really catches my eye the new touch screen Nav... They had the radio features up. Is says the station name on the button on the screen not the number. The black was super cool too. He said when they shipped them the car they put a nav disc in the car for them to use. The one big issue is they sent a Germany one only. The car cant help them if its in the states. He said they tried a nav disc from the dealer but it wont work. He said the new nav doesnt read the olds disc. He laughed and said they have to use maps...
I asked him about the nav in my car and that damn reminder every time I start the car. I asked him if it could be turned off. He said that it was required even in Germany... He says that it has to be there. They, I assume the lawyers, make them put it there. I asked him if there was a way to turn it off. He just and said well..... I knew what he ment. I then asked if they could "check my car" He
again and said it was the other guys Laptop in the car they were using and he was sure he would have none of that. I understood.
I saw the new motorized rear sun shade too. Very nice and it was a great fit in the rear of the car.
I also got to see the cars new special feature that they are really here testing for. The car is going to have a trailer hitch.... I thought he was
untill they showed it to me. They said they have been taking the car around town trying to rent trailers and have had little luck. The places all tell them that no one here in the U.S. pulls trailers with cars. He says they cant understand this as this is something almost all Germans do with the Passats there. I explained we have trucks and SUV's for that. I said I dont know anyone that will use this but its a cool feature all the same. They also showed me the way the hitch installs. It was very quick and it is stored with the spare tire area.
They talked to me about the engine, it was the same as the Jetta’s Diesel. He said its getting about 50 km... a liter or per 6 liters or something. This was something we were having a hard time understanding. I mean he couldn’t explain it, and I wasnt getting it. All in all it sounds like its VERY fuel efficient.
THE CAR THEY HAD HAS CLEAR CORNERS, THE EURO CUP HOLDERS, A REAR FOG AND THE SPORT LEATHER WITH SOFT SEATS.
They asked me what I liked about my car. I told them the difference between the old 03 v6 I had, and the new 2.ot I have now. They liked my custom German plate and they showed me the one they had. They seemed interested in talking with me about the car.
As we talked I asked them about the cars windows. I figure these guys are electrical engineers, they should know why I can roll my windows up and down with my remote. He says to me, yes you can. I tell them NO! This goes back and forth and then they ask me for my key. He trys to make the windows go down. Nothing! He looks at the other guy. The other guy pulls out there key points it at the car, Bam all the windows go down. They try and try with my remote, NOTHING! They talk in German and tell me that the car should work and they will talk to the dealer to get it fixed. The one dealer person is standing there and says none of the cars here do that. I told him that too and they both look
at each other. They ask us why... and we say don’t know either....
We talk about it more and the dealer says it has to do with lawsuits ect. You can do it with the car and the window buttons on the door. They
about this and say that’s
We all agree. They had to leave at this point but I got one last question in. I asked where is the MP3 play back. He says its in the dash with the Nav. I was like serious . He says yes look. They show me the Nav once more and sure enough it has the MP3 thing above where the disc goes. I ask what about a connector like the Ipod that we all want to hook up.
He says oh yeah we have that too. He opens up the center console to show me and says oops, this car doesnt have it but it goes in there.
Lastly we talked about the phone really quick. He said he didn’t understand why the button doesnt work here. The car is equiped, then it must be my phone. I had to explain that I had to buy a part to make it work. He said that too was and you could tell he felt
and
for me about the things that the car doesn’t have what they put in to it.
With that we said good bye. They both were very nice and said it was nice for them to talk with me and get a real consumers point of view. They liked me being honest and appreciated my time they said. I told them the pleasure was all mine!
OH, I FORGOT..... THE CAR WAS A MANUAL TOO!
How about some pics now?
Thats right, its a Manual.

TDI

REAR FOG

INSTALLED TRAILER HITCH, HE INSTALLED IT IN FRONT OF ME

FACTORY EURO PLATE HOLDER AND CLEAR CORNERS

TOUCH SCREEN NAV, AUTO CLIMATE, WIRES GOING TO COMPUTER IN CAR FROM THE LAPTOP.

WIDE SHOTS OF CAR

STICKER ON FRONT DRIVER SIDE FENDER

EURO PLATE SHOWING THE CAR IS FOR SURE FROM GERMANY

I hope you enjoyed the little story. I could have talked to these guys for a long time but I was happy with what I got!

from the vortex

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
nice!!

couple of things though. If you have the right version of the CCM and the right software you can make your windows roll up and down with your remote.

and people do tow trailers and other things with thier little jettas, golfs and passhats. That looks like a Borsial tow hitch. Expensive to get here because they aren't sold in this country. Probalby will not be offered on the new cars either due to not meeting the damn 5mph bumper spec by DOT. It is ashame too. It is a very nice and clean tow hitch. Much better than the regular class I hitchs offered by draw tight and hidden hitch.

Wonder if they will have more 4motion options too. Probably not. :(

·
Premium Member
371 Posts
now THAT is what I want. Why can't the US get any of the cool cars! With my luck, it's certainly out of my budget anyways. :(

I heard that VW was decontenting their cars though. I read somewhere that the new passat is not as nice in the interior as the last gen passat. The last gen passat was almost like an audi

D

·
0 Posts
...not quite like an audi. They sure looked nice, and I read in a car mag review that the newest passat isn't as much a winner as the last passat. I think they said that having one was like having "a little secret" that the honda and toyota owners didn't have.

Ps, the Audis had aluminum multi-link suspension vs. steel suspension w/mcpherson struts, 4 wheel drive available on all their models, and much better soundproofing. The materials were also about 2 steps above the mk4 cars. Mechanically, they were very similar and the basic mechanicals were shared across many cars. But adding exta soundproofing, a better stereo system adds up. Then there is the markup for the audi badge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts