VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is supposed to be on sale, not a concept, looks awesome! I'm not sure if it's supposed to be an upmarket passat or what. I doubt that the TDI version will come to the US, as usual, LOL.

DETROIT — Unveiled at the 2008 Detroit Auto Show, we're not sure what's more impressive about Volkswagen's new Passat CC: the slinky shape of this four-door "coupe" or all the whiz-bang technology under that sexy sheet metal.

The new systems carry such prosaic labels as Dynamic Drive Control, Automatic Distance Control and Lane Assist, but they add up to a technological showcase that also happens to come with some spicy powertrain combos.

From a portfolio of gasoline and diesel engines, the top selection is a 3.6-liter V6 rated at 296 horsepower and 258 pound-feet of torque in European trim and 276 hp and 266 lb-ft in U.S. spec. Curiously, while the U.S. engine produces more torque, it's considerably slower from zero to 60 mph — just under 6.6 seconds versus less than 5.6 seconds for the Euro engine. The latter is electronically limited to a top speed of 155 mph, while its poor American cousin will see a paltry 130 mph at best.

The four-passenger Passat CC 3.6 will come fitted with VW's 4Motion system as standard, but once again U.S. buyers get short shrift: They'll have to make do with a six-speed Tiptronic gearbox, while their lucky European counterparts get the new seven-speed DSG dual-clutch box.

One other option for U.S. buyers will be a turbocharged four-cylinder direct-injection gas engine rated at 197 hp and 207 lb-ft. With a standard six-speed manual gearbox, the engine lopes from zero to 60 mph in less than 7.6 seconds while returning reasonably good gas mileage of 30 mpg.

VW also plans to offer a brace of TDI engines in Europe, including a 2.0-liter unit rated at 168 hp and 258 lb-ft and mated to either a six-speed manual or the DSG twin-clutch transmission. The TDI does the 0-60-mph sprint in less than 8.6 seconds, with a top speed of 141 mph and surprisingly good fuel economy of 39 mpg.

As for the fancy hardware, Dynamic Drive Control is VW's name for its new electronic chassis control system that regulates damping and steering characteristics in three pre-selected modes: Normal, Sport and Comfort.

Lane Assist is an active lane-keeping system that countersteers when it senses the vehicle has accidentally strayed from its lane. Park Assist automatically guides the vehicle into a parking space at the touch of a button — a feature heretofore seen only on the high-end Lexus LS sedan.

Automatic Distance Control is a more sophisticated type of adaptive cruise control that automatically brakes and accelerates within a speed range determined by the driver. It also incorporates Front Assist, which employs a radar sensor as a distance monitor and automatically applies the brakes when it anticipates a potential frontal collision.

Additional safety hardware is provided as standard equipment, including run-flat tires, electronic stability control and eight airbags.

In keeping with its premium image, the Passat CC can be ordered with shift paddles, a multifunction steering wheel, touchscreen navigation system, wood and brushed aluminum accents, ambient lighting, a panorama vent sunroof and 18-inch alloy wheels.

The Passat CC will go on sale in Europe in the second quarter, reaching North America late this year as a 2009 model.
from : http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/News/articleId=124282#4

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
It's news to me...I remember something about a passat coupe but this looks likea mercedes CLS. I highly doubt the TDI will come to he US before the regular passat though.

J

·
0 Posts
Price? "VW's best models" Not reaching the US for at least 4 years after their Euro introduction!

·
Premium Member
142 Posts
Now THIS is the passat they should have brought to the US. I just posted some pics of the passat vs chevy malibu and they are very similar. The new passat hasn't been doing well in the car mags I read. They say that the last passat was like a treasured gem, the new passat is an average car. I'd still be willing to wait for the passat TDI tho.

D

·
0 Posts
If it's like the past 2 generations, it won't come out for another 3 years. They don't come out until the last 2 years of the body style. Maybe they take their time working on the passat because it's not as good of a seller as the jetta new beetle golf.

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
The new passat CC is on sale this week in the UK, it doesn't look like a TDI will be coming to the US for a while.....they are getting a TDI in the UK.

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/News/articleId=126196
LONDON — Volkswagen officially announced that prices for the U.K. edition of its new Passat CC "quad coupe" will start at the equivalent of $41,100 and range up to $60,800. The car goes on sale later this week and will begin reaching customers in mid-July.

U.K. stickers are considerably higher than those in the U.S., where the car — badged only as the CC — will arrive at dealers in September, priced from less than $27,000 for the base model with turbocharged four-cylinder engine.

The base Passat CC in the U.K. will feature a 158-horsepower turbo 1.8-liter TFSI engine. The top-of-the-line model gets a 3.6-liter V6 rated at 296 hp. At launch, U.K. customers will also be able to order a 2.0-liter TDI engine that delivers 138 hp. VW later will add new gas and diesel variants.

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
$60,000!!! :eek: They didn't learn their lesson from the W8 passat? $27,000 for a base model, with options, taxes, fees, out the door will end up being $32,000. You are now firmly in Audi A4 territory.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts