VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a new member, and maybe someone has already found a front lift to clear common road hazards. I've already replaced a radiator support, repaired or replaced plastic inner fenders, plastic pan, etc.

·
Premium Member
9,642 Posts
Welcome to the froum. welcometomyturbodies

Well most people want to lower their cars not lift them. Maybe your front springs are weak so the new standard springs will lift it back to normal? ;)

·
Premium Member
5,942 Posts
Hi, welcometomyturbodies.

No idea myself bud.

A lot of people accross the pond fit lift kits Keith and skid plates, I can only guess at how bad some of the roads must be.:)

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
New Bilstein HD struts should raise the car about 1/2" over stock. Some people have said that the strut seat is a little higher than stock. New springs will also raise the car. One size taller tires will also lift the car a little.

Metalnerd: http://www.metalnerd.com/cat09.htm sells a lift kit but I don't like preloading the springs. It wears them out faster too but it'll get the job done. Also, his note: Note: Not for use on vehicles with Electronic Stability Control. Orders will not be accepted without a written waiver agreement.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Welcome to the froum. welcometomyturbodies

Well most people want to lower their cars not lift them. Maybe your front springs are weak so the new standard springs will lift it back to normal? ;)
I had complained to VW when it was under warrantee, because the manual states 5" min ground clearance, yet, there is only about 3-1/2" under the plastic pan. The dealer replaced the springs, but it did not change the clearance.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi, welcometomyturbodies.

No idea myself bud.

A lot of people accross the pond fit lift kits Keith and skid plates, I can only guess at how bad some of the roads must be.:)

The dirt roads my Golf travels daily take their toll right here in the USA. The metal pan/skid plate may help, too. Thanks!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
New Bilstein HD struts should raise the car about 1/2" over stock. Some people have said that the strut seat is a little higher than stock. New springs will also raise the car. One size taller tires will also lift the car a little.

Metalnerd: http://www.metalnerd.com/cat09.htm sells a lift kit but I don't like preloading the springs. It wears them out faster too but it'll get the job done. Also, his note: Note: Not for use on vehicles with Electronic Stability Control. Orders will not be accepted without a written waiver agreement.
The struts and tires look like an easy clearance help. My Golf with ESC would be contrary to Metalnerd's policy. I wonder if that is just CYA or if there is a problem with ESC and a small lift?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts