VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
Wish I would have seen this post a week ago :) Could have taken some pics for you as I was pulling the BRM apart for the cam job. My kit for the TB came with new studs - although I did not see them referenced in the existing DIY, might be worth a mention. My buddy (VW mechanic) said to replace them - roller and tensioner. The old nuts that you remove from the tensioner and roller and be used to double-nut onto the old studs to back them out of the block. New ones had a touch of blue (medium) loctite on them already......

I noticed that the last guy who had my TB covers off (dealership :-( put the middle cover on wrong - it was not fully seated on the front side - it was sticking out a bit (which makes me wonder how they got the upper cover on correctly) - anyway, maybe a mention in the DIY to make sure that the covers are properly seated nice and square.

I liked the mention of the dimple on the crank pulley - many people would miss that - I knew about it from previous diesels, but many would miss it I'm sure - I'm guessing if you tried hard enough, you could get the balancer back on without lining it up :)

In the DIY, the photo shows an "old school" hex/allen wrench for the tensioner adjustment - I found a short 6mm socket on a 3/8" drive worked very well - the 15mm wrench could still go in there and snug it up prior to final torque setting - once snug enough, it will stay in place while torquing.

One addition for the DIY on adjusting torsion could be that you don't have to remove the entire intercooler hose - just pop off the far end near the intake and you can pull it far enough out of the way (after removing the torx screw on the bracket) to slip a 13mm wrench in there - don't drop it though, or your skid plate catches it for you - I know from experience....then you get the added fun of removing the plate to get your wrench back. This less-intrusive method also proves helpful for those, who like me, had to make more than one attempt to adjust the torsion value.

Love the site - great info, lots of help.

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wish I would have seen this post a week ago :) Could have taken some pics for you as I was pulling the BRM apart for the cam job. My kit for the TB came with new studs - although I did not see them referenced in the existing DIY, might be worth a mention. My buddy (VW mechanic) said to replace them - roller and tensioner. The old nuts that you remove from the tensioner and roller and be used to double-nut onto the old studs to back them out of the block. New ones had a touch of blue (medium) loctite on them already......

I noticed that the last guy who had my TB covers off (dealership :-( put the middle cover on wrong - it was not fully seated on the front side - it was sticking out a bit (which makes me wonder how they got the upper cover on correctly) - anyway, maybe a mention in the DIY to make sure that the covers are properly seated nice and square.

I liked the mention of the dimple on the crank pulley - many people would miss that - I knew about it from previous diesels, but many would miss it I'm sure - I'm guessing if you tried hard enough, you could get the balancer back on without lining it up :)

In the DIY, the photo shows an "old school" hex/allen wrench for the tensioner adjustment - I found a short 6mm socket on a 3/8" drive worked very well - the 15mm wrench could still go in there and snug it up prior to final torque setting - once snug enough, it will stay in place while torquing.

One addition for the DIY on adjusting torsion could be that you don't have to remove the entire intercooler hose - just pop off the far end near the intake and you can pull it far enough out of the way (after removing the torx screw on the bracket) to slip a 13mm wrench in there - don't drop it though, or your skid plate catches it for you - I know from experience....then you get the added fun of removing the plate to get your wrench back. This less-intrusive method also proves helpful for those, who like me, had to make more than one attempt to adjust the torsion value.

Love the site - great info, lots of help.
Feel free to edit the wiki or add your post to the BRM timing belt article.:thumbsup

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.