VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
98 VW Golf TDI 130,000 miles.

I have been searching the forum about a wooshing air noise when the turbo kicks in I am sure I found a thread about it before but I can't find in now, can somebody please point me in the right direction.

BTW What a site this is the imformation on here is fantastic and thanks for all the work that goes into in. I just about know what end of a screw driver to hold, but even I have done a few jobs on the motor from the help from this site.

Thanks

PS My young son said is that your nitro kicking in so you can imagine what sound I have.

·
Premium Member
5,942 Posts
How's the power? It sounds like you might have a boost leak somewhere, there's a big pipe that comes from the turbo at the back of the engine and goes down to the intercooler ( A radiator type thing for cooling the intake air) and then up to the inlet manifold, if you check the connections you might find an oily looking one which could indicate a leak. Don't worry about the oil though because there's always a certain amount gets blown through from the turbo. Have a look through this faq and especially at the parts for diagnosing and fixing limp mode and the low power one, I think there's some info in there for the pipes etc.:)

http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/a4/a4-ALH-TDI-engine-index.htm

welcometomyturbodies

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the link that is what i had been reading a few days ago but had lost it for some reason.

The engine runs really well and the power is very good. The engine does suffer under load in 4th and 5th gear going up hill and it goes into limp mode, usual story it seams, switch engine off and on again and its fine. Hence me finding this website and doing a lot of reading. When its light again tomorrow ill be under the hood trying to figure out how a TDI works and checking the pipes you recomended \I look at.

Thanks

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yep, big pipe clip not on properly, fixed that and then found thin pipe completely worn through replaced 1m length of that, that one solved the limp mode problem!!!!!!!!!!!! Totally happy thanks for the help.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts