VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just replaced my timing belt in my 02 jetta due to missing teeth. Car was running but very ruff with old belt, now with new belt it won't start. Have worked on gas for 35 years but new to diesels. Every thing appears to be lined up but still won't start.

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
When you put the engine back to TDC, was everything lined up? Missing teeth normally means the cam has spun and the engine valves are damaged. I am surprised it would run with a few teeth missing. If it wasn't lined up during removal it means the timing has slipped. All TDI are interference engines.

Some other possibilities: air in the fuel. The pump is self priming but it takes a long time. Try vac at the fuel return or cracking open a fuel injector line nut at the injector, wrap with rag, and crank until it's wet.

You can also put back to TDC and double check marks. If you didn't use lock tools, the injection pump timing could be off. A little off and it'll be out of range for start. Don't mean any insult since you know gas cars but on a diesel, if inj timing is a little off, no start. This is why the factory method specifies a certain method.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know cam and inj. pump were both off a little. One of the glow plugs broke off and I have to pull the head to drill it out, no damage to pistons or valves. after reassembly had 350 -360 psi all cylinders. and I did use for realignment.

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
That is fairly low compression. Average is 500-550 psi no a healthy, warm, broken in engine. Here are some more specs: http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/multi/compression-test-VW-TDI.htm

FYI, if the valves hit the engines, they tend to mushroom the stems. It oftentimes won't change compression but it'll leave a mark on the lifter and the valve snaps a few thousand miles later. Since the head was off, you can also see if there are marks on the pistons. Did you check piston protrusion or note how many holes were in the headgasket? The holes = head gasket thickness, there are 4 different levels depending on piston protrusion.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
it was the injection pump alignment. after finding the hole with a mirror and filing my alignment tool with some emory cloth so it would fit in the hole and reinstalling the belt it fired right up and runs strong. thanks for the help

1 - 6 of 6 Posts