VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Both my summer tires and winter tires are shot. I found two great deals on winter tires. One size is 195/60/15 (I have 15" steels for winter) $250 for all 4 with 1000 miles on them. The other size is 225/50/16. The 16" tires are so cheap $95 for all 4 (they have 6000 miles on them) I could probably have them mounted/dismounted once and still break even. Which would you choose? or neither?

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
The 195 tires will be better for winter because they are narrower and will maintain traction better in snow and water. With the same weight, less surface area means more traction.

The 16" tires are unnecessarily wide. 205 would be a better width, especially for winter tires.

·
Registered
371 Posts
The 195 tires will be better for winter because they are narrower and will maintain traction better in snow and water. With the same weight, less surface area means more traction.

The 16" tires are unnecessarily wide. 205 would be a better width, especially for winter tires.
2nd, the wider tire would be better for a summer tire.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. My current snows are 195/65/15. Any big concerns with going to a 60? I do realize the speedo implications. My concern is really for proper fitment on the rim.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts