VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have to replace my windshield, anyone with instructions? There are some rust spots close to the windshield so I want to fix that also before I put in the new one.

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
They are bonded. Honestly, because of the special tools they have to cut the glue and access to the glues, I would pay a professional to do it. You can even pay safelite because they're cheap but I wouldn't use safelite glass.

Basically, remove the trim, cut the glue, and it comes right out. As good practice, make some marks at the sides and bottom showing where the old one was before removing.

·
Premium Member
5,942 Posts
It doesn't come out in one nice tidy piece though lol, been there, done that. You could take out the old one and clean up the metal work, fill any holes, do any paint work then get a pro to come over and fit a new one. If you really want to do it yourself then I got a couple out using old guitar strings and just sawing all the way round but be warned, they are more brittle with age, no room for error. You can scrape any old bonding off then you need to clean the glass with metholated spirit, the real one, tiger seal is one of the bonding agents used and you might need two tubes. You wont use it all but it's good to have a bucket of hot water, put both tubes in it then take one out and start your bead and when it starts to get stiff put it back in the bucket of hot water and get the other tube. It's a fairly reasonable size bead and you will need help fitting the glass, you'll also need to remember not to press it flat so the bead of bond ends up as thick as the original. Do some googling for more info and you might find some vids on youtube.:)

·
Premium Member
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you both for great ideas. I will give it a try becasue I know I will do it nice and easy. I heard that professionals often damage dashboards and scratch paint around the frame which can later turn into rust. I like the idea of marking the old position of the windshield before removal.

·
Premium Member
5,942 Posts
I've never heard of anyone getting any damage to their cars from pro's, they usually have a hot knife thing that I think connects to the battery and it heats up and melts it way round, maybe you can find one cheapish.:)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts