VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all again!
In my 1999 passat which I have just bought, I am having problems with the air for clearing the front windscreen. There are 3 buttons on the control unit which allow you to switch between air in footwells, air in face and air at windscreen. When the windscreen button is on there is very little air at the windscreen, more air at the passenger end meaning driver end takes way to long to clear. There is always air in the footwells even when they are not selected. Is this taking air away from the windscreen? or if not is this a common fault?
Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Yes. Have you tried shutting or blocking the vents you don't want to use? It will divert the air to the ones you do.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
they are all motor controlled are they not? is it easy enough to move them without damage?
If i can close the footwell air completely i wouldn't care, as long as my windscreen gets full air

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
If you have climatronic it's motor controlled. If you have manual air control it's all cables. To take it apart you have to remove the dashboard.

I would suggest having the climatronic scanned for codes. Maybe it's a simple fix.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I do have climatronic. Is it expensive to have it scanned? Also from reading on other forums, my climatronic display flashes when I turn ignition on, every symbol on display flashing until I press a button, some say this means there is a fault in it?

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
Yes, that means there's a fault code stored. In the US, parts stores will scan it for free. don't know about places local to you. Don't mess with it until you at least know what the fault code is.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hey marty, if you get stuck finding a place to do a dtc (fault code) scan for you pm me and we can organise a time & I can do it for you with VCDS. I'm also in Belfast (East). At least that way you might get a heads up to what the cause of the issue is.

May as well try to help someone keep theirs on the road seeing as my Bora is grounded atm :ugh

1 - 8 of 8 Posts