VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried searching and didn't have much luck.

Anyone ever decided to tint their windows? Anyone have any recommendation in the Denver metro?

Thanks.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I am in Virginia, not Denver, however, I recently had a very modest 50 percent black on everything but the windshield. (safety stickers, you know). Most use 35%, but I do not like to feel like I am in a cave. The best benefit, other than looking very good, the airconditioner works much, much better, at lower fan speed. The guy who did it used a computer controlled laser to cut the film so perfect fit of all pieces. He also did the clear bra at the same time. Love them both.

Frog

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
I tint the windows on all my cars, I prefer a metallic hybrid tint around 40-43%, 50% on the rear window. 40 is darker than 50% but lighter than the standard 35%. The lower the %, the darker it is. I prefer it lighter on the rear window. You can't tell the difference just looking at the car but it does make night driving easier.

You can find lots of tips online but the basic types are dyed (gets knocked by tint snobs but any quality dyed tint is fine), metallic (has metal particles in the dye to reflect heat without making it darker), and ceramic (has ceramic particles to reflect heat without making it darker). And then there are the semi-hybrids which are a mix.

I like semi-metallic since it has a lot of the benefits but without the shinier look of a full metallic. dyed and ceramic aren't as shiny. This is just my subjective feeling, but I feel a difference in how hot the light feels with metallic vs. dyed at the same darkness level. Ceramic is very expensive and hard to find. Metallic is only slightly more expensive than dyed. Metallic will kill your AM reception, dyed and ceramic won't. My cars w/metallic hybrid tint doesn't have any problems with ez-pass, FM, sirius, GPS, or cell phone reception but I think the AM got a little worse. i don't listen to AM so I don't care. Make sure to only use water and a microfiber towel to clean the tint. Cleaners like ammonia based products and dirty cleaning tools can scratch the tint.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Getting my golf tinted this Saturday...going with 35% all around. I'd like to go 20% but here in NY, the limit is 70% for both front and back side windows....35 is the best compromise, not too dark, but not too light either. Shouldn't get me hassled.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all the replies to date. I appreciate them.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2011 Sportwagen. Had the windows (xwindshield) tinted at 35%. In SC could go as low as 27%. The sunroof also done at 35%. The tinter normally does 20% on sunroof but with the size of the sunroof suggested I stay at 35% to prevent it from exploding based on the manfactor notice. The UV is 99% and does reduce the heat in the car and the glare. At night does not effect seeing outside to a point that would be bad.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts