VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ever since I picked up the car (out of state) there's been a significant wind noise near the driver's ear at speeds above 45-50mph. I can't tell if the noise is from the body/door junction or the door/window junction. All the door seals seem to be properly seated and I don't see any visible irregularities in them. The car is fresh from the factory, had 15 miles on it when I bought it.

I brought it in for service (this problem) at local VW dealer, they fiddled with door latch adjustments for a couple hours but couldn't make it right and at VW corporate's direction, the car is now in the dealer's body shop.

Has anyone else had this problem on recent Jettas? Is this a general QC issue from the factory (defintely would have been noticed on the factory test drive) or just a one-off quirk (technician said he'd never seen this problem before)? If you've had this issue, how did you resolve the issue?

Thanks for any input. I'll post a resolution when I get one.

-speedeep

·
Registered
68 Posts
Take some soft foam and stuff it around the door seams see which location makes the noise stop and you've found the problem. Is the window sealed tight against the door as well?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thats very interesting, My TDI Cup has the same exact problem. (Mine does not have the Thunderbunny kit on it to give you a data point) Everything looks like it is sealed. I have notfied my dealer and they are going to look at it when I take it in for my first inspection.

Patrick

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Waiting on parts now. They identified the "glass runner" as the problem (I'll ask them to keep the old one so I can look at it.) Will update this post once the repair is completed.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Have same wind noise problem. Located on upper rear portion of driver's window. Service rep said he drove another car (same year and model) and noticed similar noise, but was worse. Notified VW Customer Support and received a call back. Essentially, VW's position is that it's a design issue and IF they ever issue a bulletin my dealer will contact me. Disappointing problem and response. This is my first VW after over 25 years of Saabs.

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
Have same wind noise problem. Located on upper rear portion of driver's window. Service rep said he drove another car (same year and model) and noticed similar noise, but was worse. Notified VW Customer Support and received a call back. Essentially, VW's position is that it's a design issue and IF they ever issue a bulletin my dealer will contact me. Disappointing problem and response. This is my first VW after over 25 years of Saabs.
Err....no it's not. Find another service rep. I've only driven 1 2010 Jetta TDI cup edition but noticed no unusual wind noise. I also have the same body style Jetta and have noticed no unusual noise. Try inspecting how the window sits in the door seal.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Location: RI, there should be plenty more dealerships within a reasonable radius. Try another dealer since this guy doesn't seem to make to want you happy. Saabs aren't bad cars but they've really been outdated under GM's management. How long in the tooth was the 9-5? Hopefully they'll do better under new ownership.

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Have two Mk5 Jettas, a 2009 SEL (gas) Sportwagen, and a 2010 TDI sedan. Both have similar issues with what I consider excessive wind noise, above 45-50mph, in otherwise fairly quiet cars.

The SEL Sportwagen is worse; Door seals, window seating, all look OK. I've decided it's just the side mirrors, since if I shift my head into the passenger space I can hear just about the same amount coming from that side. The noise sounds as though it is all around the upper part of the door at various times, fore and aft.

The 2010 TDI Sedan seems to have less of this 'whippy' wind noise that the SEL has, but it is still there and like the SEL it is equal on both sides.

But, what I did have in the TDI in addition to this noise was a sense of higher ambient road noise on the driver's side; sort of akin to what you hear when the door is not fully latched or a window not quite up, but not as loud. I examined the seals and all looked good. I pulled on the door pull while driving to 'suck' the door in, and the noise diminished. Once stopped, I noticed that the driver's door was ever so slightly 'out' at the back edge when closed. It was slight enough that no one would see it unless you sighted down the side of the car. I adjusted the door strike for a flush fit all around and the noise is gone. But again, this was a subtle noise.

This was on a brand new car. To the casual observer, the door didn't look mis-installed/mis aligned. The door sealing is apparently so 'marginal' on these cars (contact surface alignment, probably a design issue wherein the design didn't properly account for production tolerances) that even a door that looks OK when closed may not be tight enough to mash the seal sufficiently to quell wind noise. Ironic for a car with triple door sealing, or 2-1/2 seals, depending on how you count. By contrast, a Mk VI Golf has one full and some partial seals, or '1-1/2', and it seems to work as well if not better than the Mk 5 Jettas!

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Still waiting for backordered parts. No ETA currently. Apparently there is a run on these parts (common problem?)

·
Registered
8 Posts
my 2010 Jetta TDI has the exact noise coming from driver side window. If I cover the bottom side of the side mirrow, the noise seems to disappear. At first oil change, will ask dealer to fix it. It seems this is a common problem on 2010 Jetta's.

·
Registered
1 Posts
2010 Jetta 2.5

Bought in July same issue with the wind noise at drivers eartook to vw 3 times
spoke to area rep out of corporate michigan was told engineers were working on the issue not only my car, but also told me it could be a characteristic of my car.

Picked up my car after 3rd time at vw service. Door has now been bent and handle doesnt work properly and door does not close properly.

Not sure what is going to happen. Spoke to a lemon law attorney and they are putting together the paperwork.

Spoke to Illinois Attorneys Office and they are putting together the paperwork also.

This should not happen. I have asked vw to buy back car.

·
Registered
1 Posts
2010 jsw

I am also experiencing the same annoying wind noise issues and also rattles from the interior.
The dealership has not been able to help.
Has anyone been able to find out more on this subject.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
VW dealer made a big deal of replacing the glass run on the affected door (car out of service for 1 day + 2 days) Made no difference. I don't want to go back to that dealership because of other issues (personal effects going missing from car while in their care) so I've got to work this out with a dealer a bit further out, complicating things. Sure wish VW corporate could work out what the problem is and provide a REAL fix. It's clearly not normal for Jettas to have a blowing wind noise (present thread examples excluded.)

(Yes, I know that things left in my car are at my own risk, blah, blah, blah. I can't hold them responsible, but that doesn't mean I want to do business with them again.)

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a brand new 2011 and I seem to have a similar problem. I don't find the noise that excessive, however, it is really annoying if the radio is off. What is considered tolerable, I am considering bringing it in to have it checked out?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Wind noise on drivers side

I have the exact same problem with a 2011 TDI Jetta comfortline wind noise even at 20k coming from the drivers window - it is driving me nuts - it sounds like the door or window are not closed all the time. VW are replacing the front dashboard covering on Tuesday as there was a buzzing noise coming from behind the speedometer so I am going to talk to them about it then - I am so disappointed with the car and I am not a particularly picky person.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Jetta Wind Noise

I had some time on my hands tonight so tried stuffing some foam up into the top corner of the driver window and it reduced the noise by at least 70% this is good enough for me to realize that I am not being picky and the seal is defective.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have an 09 and hear the same thing.Dirt and dust accumulate on the rocker panel.
the front (hinge side) edge of the door this winter gathered water and it froze in there when i opened the door i heard this crunch and i looked and i had bent the skin :annoyed
This is a design issue .i have noticed quite a few on this car.Probably my last new tdi for a while.
vw really blew it on this model.

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
I have an 09 and hear the same thing.Dirt and dust accumulate on the rocker panel.
the front (hinge side) edge of the door this winter gathered water and it froze in there when i opened the door i heard this crunch and i looked and i had bent the skin :annoyed
This is a design issue .i have noticed quite a few on this car.Probably my last new tdi for a while.
vw really blew it on this model.
You're right, this is a design issue that has been known since 2007. Officially I think the fix only applies to Golf but it's the same design on the Jetta. There is a foam piece that fits in that gap that is supposed to correct this issue. Here is a direct link to where you can buy them: http://www.ecstuning.com/ES259849/

or their part numbers:
1K0 867 453 - driver side
1K0 867 454 - passenger side

I just clean it out if I see ice there and it should be covered under warranty on your new car. In addition, there have been complaints that the foam rubs against the leading edge of the door. This will wear the paint down.

There is a slightly better solution in an updated TSB where you glue some door gasket to the inside of the fender liner and put a glob of silicone inside the wheel well to change how it drips. I would consider this before installing the door foam inserts. I have attached the TSB below. If you decide to do this, please document it with pictures so that it can be shared with others.

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks Great info..i unfortunately did not see the ice before i opened the door.. I have ruined it.

The car has 45000 miles on it ..so unless vwoa will recognize their bad here i doubt i will get any satisfaction from them..

·
Super Moderator
9,555 Posts
Talking of wind noise?

I've found another niggle with the Golf. A friend at work with a 2005 Seat Leon said to me last week does your car drown with the rear windows down. Thats something I haven't noticed as I don't drive with the rear windows down.

I took it for the normal blast up the motorway this afternoon. I decided to try this noise out, I dropped one rear windows and it was terrible its like a warbling sound this happens with both windows down individually. Obviously you can't go slow on a motorway so I wonder as what speed this warbling started. As I left the motorway I stopped at the lights and put one window down again. I drove off onto a dual carriageway to see at what speed this warbling started. It was between 40-50mph actually 48mph.

Now this is a really annoying sound in fact it hurts your ears after only a few seconds and it booms in the car. So don't drive at above 40mph with the rear windows down.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts