VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

First post so be kind ;)

I have been told by a local volkswagen mechanic that if I disconnect the battery on my golf (2007 Golf 2.0 Tdi) I will need to get the fault codes removed.

Doing some searching though has revealed that only the radio code needs to be put in; but no error codes in the ecu.

The battery needs replacing shortly so will have to be disconnected.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers,
Mark

·
Premium Member
5,942 Posts
I don't think so, think of it like a usb data stick, the info is still stored regardless of power being present. Any suitable scanner can clear them though, vagcom or other.

·
Premium Member
9,741 Posts
Welcome to the forum Mark. welcometomyturbodies

No error codes are stored in the ecu so disconnecting the battery doesn't erase them only the basic settings.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Welcome to the forum Mark. welcometomyturbodies

No error codes are stored in the ecu so disconnecting the battery doesn't erase them only the basic settings.
If that is so why would the workshop say that it must be done by someone with the diagnostic scanner? It all sounds a bit misleading to me.

·
Premium Member
943 Posts
Either the shop doesn't really know, or they were trying to take advantage of your inexperience. If what they say is true, then you would get "fault codes" every time you turn on the key.

Every time you start the car and to a greater extent when you start after reconnecting the battery, the ECU does a "digital handshake" with the sensors and controllers that it communicates with and if everything passes muster, then no codes are set.

When the battery is disconnected some of the adaptions, such as electronic steering, are lost until the ECU "re-learns" those adaptions. The steering on my car will reset itself after driving about 500 feet after reconnecting the battery.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Either the shop doesn't really know, or they were trying to take advantage of your inexperience. If what they say is true, then you would get "fault codes" every time you turn on the key.

Every time you start the car and to a greater extent when you start after reconnecting the battery, the ECU does a "digital handshake" with the sensors and controllers that it communicates with and if everything passes muster, then no codes are set.

When the battery is disconnected some of the adaptions, such as electronic steering, are lost until the ECU "re-learns" those adaptions. The steering on my car will reset itself after driving about 500 feet after reconnecting the battery.
That makes sense. Thanks very much for your answer.

Mark

·
Premium Member
943 Posts
You are welcome. That shop does not have your best interests at heart. If you make sure you are educated about your car then nobody will be able to shaft you when it comes time to have necessary maintenance performed.

·
Premium Member
9,741 Posts
If that is so why would the workshop say that it must be done by someone with the diagnostic scanner? It all sounds a bit misleading to me.
It sounds like the workshop is saying it needs a diagnostic scan to find and erase any error codes not disconnect the battery to erase them.

When I had a problem getting my digital gear indicator enabled they said they can't find any settings with their equipment and they have disconnect the battery to to set the system to factory default. I found out its a factory software update that enables it, which I told them but they wouldn't listen tossers.

http://www.myturbodiesel.com/forum/f19/display-gear-manual-you-6404/

·
Registered
1 Posts

hi,

i have a similar problem when connecting a DIY super capacitor to my Golf MK7 : a number of error alerts pops up while ignition. to play safe, i disconnect the super capacitor and re-start the car, those errors still appears. after driving for a while and removing some of them thru' OB2 scanner, all of them were gone and back to normal.

i initially thought that my DIY capacitor triggered those errors, after reading your explanation it seems solely because of re-connecting the battery makes ECU re-learns everything relating to electricity.

in this case, if i turn on the super capacitor again, it should not trigger those errors again, am i right ?

please advise, thx !

1 - 10 of 10 Posts