VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello my name is Robert.

I bought a 2000 VW Jetta TDI from a friend about three months ago it has 230,000 miles on it. First thing I did was buy a repair manual for it so I could learn about the car.

The first problem I had was the Fuel pump went out on it, luckily the friend I bought it from new someone that could fix it. This friend felt bad about me having this problem and offer to pay for the repairs I told him no because it was not his fault, anyway the car runs good now and my wife is happy.

The only other problem I have is there is only one key that will start the car due to the immobilizer only recognizes the main key, I have a spare key but the immobilizer will not allow the car to start with it. I would like to learn how to match additional keys to this car. What equipment do I need to purchase to not only accomplish matching keys but also being able to service this vehicle.

I have been a shade tree mechanic most of my life mainly old Chevy's like my 65 Malibu or 72 Nova, those cars are long gone in the past now. My current pickup is a 2002 Chevy S-10, I have just put out the money for a Scan Tool to work on that thing myself. The newer vehicle's with OBD2 is a new learning experience for me. Now I want something for this VW Jetta TDI.

I ran across www.myturbodiesel.com while looking for answers about the fuel pump, read a few post but didn't pursue it for as my friend I've mentioned above. Now that I can relax about the VW Jetta I feel it is a good time to research and learn as much as I can about it.

For now my main focus is being able to match keys to this VW Jetta TDI without breaking the bank. Buying the right equipment without throwing allot of money at it.

Thank you for reading this post
Robert

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
If you buy the tools you can resell them when you're done. The resale discount shouldn't be more than the price of taking it to the dealer. FYI, I'm currently looking for people to take step by step screenshots of how to get the SKC and program the key, it will qualify for the writeup contest. If you win, the prize is a $50 e-gift certificate to kermatdi.com the sponsor, so it's something else to think about if you choose to DIY.

·
Premium Member
9,676 Posts
Welcome to the forum. welcometomyturbodies

Well thats the difficult bit getting the SKC of the dealer because they won't let you in the workshop to watch and they won't discuss details like that as it put them out of an easy earner. ;)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for the welcome and the good information, I bought this Jetta as a second vehicle and the way fuel prices are getting I will most likely drive it quite abit. Being an older car I feel a need to be able to work on it. So the more I can learn from this forum the better and as I find new tricks I will share them.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts