VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm new to this forum as of today but I just thought I'd throw this one out there because I've never seen one and I've done some searching.

I'm the proud new owner of a '10 JSW and as soon as the warranty expires, I plan to start modding. I really like the look of my car from the front. It's got great lines in the front facia and lights and a nice aggressive stance. I park backwards whenever I can to accent this. From the sides or the back however... not so much. I've had several friends say it looks like a mini-van; Broke my heart.

I don't deny that it gets more white bread the further back you go, and admittedly, I bought this as a sensible replacement to my gas guzzling 4th gen Trans Am. I also have to admit that I'm one of those people that dreams big when it comes to modification, and then doesn't really follow through. It's mostly because of how expensive it gets as soon as you start.

I suppose my point here, other than just making a comment, is to say that I think the MK6s, especially the JSW could use a nice wide body kit to fill-out the car's overall look. A slightly more aggressive flare around the front fenders, some ground effects, and something a little more prominent above the rear wheels into the hatch would be awesome. I've looked into doing it myself, but the fiberglass work requires more resources than I can fathom coming by anytime in the near future.

For ideas, look at the rest of cars out there now gunning for the sport-hybrid market. The CR-Z, Genesis and all new Veloster, and even the new Prii (plural for Prius?) that debuted at recent auto shows all have nice fender flaring for that true sport look. For an example that closer to home, look at the Sirocco. I WANT THAT!!! WHY NOT MEEEEE?!!?!

In general I think Audi does a great job of making beautiful elegant cars without having to get too crazy. Clean and consistent is good especially when you're packing heat James Bond style. I just think that VW (of America) could use a little spunk. If you already have a car that looks like a flipping lady bug, why can't you work up the nuggets to match it with a BA Praying Mantis or something.

I plan on taking this car to 300,000 so who's to say if I will ever get around to putting my money where my mouth is, but I've got a while... now I just need an empty garage, extra time, and the aforementioned money.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
Welcome! How much of this work can you do yourself? Can you do body and paint? This is not something you want to do to your own car without practice. I haven't seen any retail widebody kits yet but I'm sure someone will make one.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I've not seen any wide body kits for a Sportwagen either. I'd start simple and build from there. Something like an aggressively styled set of 17 or 18" wheels, and either stagger (a bit wider wheel on the rear), or use rear spacers to bring the rear tires out flush with the body. That will help draw attention visually away from the slab sides and to the wheels/tires instead.

Won't have the same impact as a widebody kit, but it will be far less expensive, and easily accomplished.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts