VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why would VW not include leather, xenon lights, and other options availiable in Germany and other countries on US cars? They all seem to roll of the same Puablo Mexico production line. Germany gets everything from 2 tone leather to different steering wheel diameters. Also why so hard to get in the first place?

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
Because they figured out that they could sell more cars by decontenting them. Most people don't appreciate or want the features that cost extra.

Compared to a loaded 2005.5, you can't get auto headlights, auto wipers, auto dimming mirrors, dual auto zone climate control, wood trim, rear sunshade, or misc highline control modules. They were too expensive so these features were removed so they could lower the price. But you do get a more advanced engine and emissions system and in theory, better reliability. Most people just want the cheapest car possible compared to the competition.

Why cna't you get these features even though they roll of the same assembly line? I don't know other than that choice costs extra. Cars are much more expensive overseas so it's built into the price.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Forget Germany, you can get leather on a Canadian Golf. Maybe someone can get one which "fell off the truck" on the way up north :D You can get Xenon lights in the US.

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
German market Jetta.. built in Mexico....can you say Euro..

While in Germany recently the local VW showrrom had a MY10 Jetta kombi in black over gorgeous uprated black leather. This car was loaded with options not available in North America, but we know that. Could there be a work around such as a Mexico delivery of German market car? I'm suggesting you could always play games with 'any delivery" process. I've bought a few cars via European delivery arrangements, so I have a comfortable sense of how it could be cheated. You would have to have big gonads to execute this kind of nonsense though... and for a VW station wagon? Not bloody likely.

I've brought up the "special ordering" subject with the Sales & Marketing powers that be of Audi USA. Many of the marketing heads at Audi USA advocate such "special order" arrangements and believe it or not.... wait for it... the retail dealership's nix'd the program possiblity. Seem's the contract law's at the state level is a hurdle. There was a significant admin cost to such a "special order" program one Audi guy sighted. To which I replied, Yeah the kind of Admin cost Porsche AG has. Last I checked Porsche AG is far and away the most profitable production car manufacture on the planet.
My wife and I both own their sports cars... Ever glance at the 911 order sheet? The word NO is not in the Porsche lexicon.

Hello VW Canada, yeah it's me. I'd like to order a car..............

P.S., Our MY06.5 a late August 2006 production USA Jetta TDI has all the pre-decontent strategy options Chitty mention's. It's a nice under the radar TDI sedan. Leather, memory seats/mirrors, Navi, homelink, rear shade, etc. EDIT: no walnut trim or power passenger seat.

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
Ever glance at the 911 order sheet? The word NO is not in the Porsche lexicon.
And checking every option box can double the price of the car. I was reading about the Cayman so just for fun, I priced one out to see how much they cost. The base cayman is $51,400. Adding the "S" and all the cool options that you thought were standard, like leather interior, sport seats, power seats, LSD, and sport steering wheel, and some extra goodies, it ended up $95,000
jaw drops

Regardless of how good the car is ie, W8 Passat or Phaeton, Phaeton W12, people won't pay the premium. Instead of thinking of the Phaeton W12 as a $90,000 VW, it's a Bentley-Audi-VW hybrid at half off. Imagine the Golf TDI at $24,000. Now imagine it specced out at $39,000!

The Jetta is another story. The Golf are made in Europe but all Jetta are made in Mexico off the same assembly line. I have no clue why they can't just put a US VIN number on a car destined for Europe and put it on a boat to the US instead of a boat to Europe.

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
P.S., Our MY06.5 a late August 2006 production USA Jetta TDI has all the pre-decontent strategy options Chitty mention's. It's a nice under the radar TDI sedan. Leather, memory seats/mirrors, Navi, homelink, rear shade, etc.
That is a rare car. Homelink and rear shade were officially discontinued after 2005.5. My 2006 package 2 car doesn't have homelink, rear shade, power passenger side seat, auto headlights/wipers, or walnut wood trim. The 2005.5 package 2 cars did.

·
Registered
226 Posts
You yourself have said that options cost money. Europeans have to pay a lot more for the cars and after taxes you wouldn't want the option to pay a lot more. You can get your $39,000 Golf TDI and I don't think they would sell very many at that price. That's the same price as a loaded Audi A3 TDI so if you want the options, that's your car.

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
That is a rare car. Homelink and rear shade were officially discontinued after 2005.5. My 2006 package 2 car doesn't have homelink, rear shade, power passenger side seat, auto headlights/wipers, or walnut wood trim. The 2005.5 package 2 cars did.
In all fairness the "rear sun shade" was installed by ordering the compoenents via a Denver area VW dealer. I checked the order guide which was used back in May of 2006 and Homelink was included with Pkg2 - Go figure! And to be sure the passenger seat is manual adjust. Here's an added detail, its the right side mirror "dip" function when shifting into reverse. I'm told the earlier Pkg2 or Pkg3 cars didn't have this and then after the August 2006 production run the leather memory seat/mirror option was removed entirely which includes the mirror dip function. I suppose VW Mexico screws up from time to time with the "which market content/option game".
Question: was there a ROW rear door window sun shade option for the Jetta?
This side window sun shade is popular in markets such as Germany. A USA market Audi A3 would have this as an option I'd guess....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts