VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
This sound only occurs when the car is started for the first time. And only when it is cold outside. It also emits some white smoke. After a couple of seconds, everything is fine again.
Passat b6, 2006, 2l 103kw

without being right there on it. Sounds like bottom end issues, crankshaft and rods, no oil on crank and rods, until oil pump starts putting out. Sound goes away. Need to find a good honest mechanic. Sorry to say doesn’t sound good

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
It sounds like you have a "misfire" on a cylinder that clears up. I would say that a fuel injector is weeping fuel at first. That also explains the smoke which is just extra fuel. I had an A3 that made same sound. Might need to rebuild the injectors.

·
Registered
25 Posts
This sound only occurs when the car is started for the first time. And only when it is cold outside. It also emits some white smoke. After a couple of seconds, everything is fine again.
Passat b6, 2006, 2l 103kw

As i said its just what it sounds like". when the lower end crankshafts and rods are basically clamped together and in this assembly you have a babit bearing that separates the crank and rods from the steel when oil is pressurized in the system. when these components wear(which is not normal) and clearance is increased. when the dynamic wedge of oil is lost due to wear, and when it sits over night this is what you get at start up...

Find a good and honest mechanic where you live, that in itself is an endeavor

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
As i said its just what it sounds like". when the lower end crankshafts and rods are basically clamped together and in this assembly you have a babit bearing that separates the crank and rods from the steel when oil is pressurized in the system. when these components wear(which is not normal) and clearance is increased. when the dynamic wedge of oil is lost due to wear, and when it sits over night this is what you get at start up...

So why does everything only happen when it’s cold outside? why doesn't this happen in warm weather?

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Glow plugs - at least one is not working. I would change them all out as it is cheap and easy. My vehicle made the exact same sounds with a misfire and that can be caused by (in order of easiest to fix) glowplug (also aligns with your cold temps), fuel injector, and then loss of compression (but that would not resolve itself so quickly).

·
Registered
25 Posts

because when steel is cold it it get quite a bit smaller, we are talking thousands of an inch. there fore more oil gets away from bearing surface

1 - 11 of 11 Posts