VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
482 Posts
No but you need the secret key code and a vag-com to sync it to the immoibilizer (if your car has one, and most do). VW used to give this out as long as you could prove you owned the car. Now they use a centralized system so that noone sees the code. It goes straight from a server to the dealer tool and the tech can't give it to you. This way, they can charge you more:mad:

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
http://myturbodiesel.com/1000q_how_to/multi/immo3.htm

found some more info, more here

http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/faq_4.html#skc

We do not know of any way to retrieve an SKC for VW/Audi/SEAT/Skoda vehicles other than getting it from an official dealership. Prior to 2002, some vehicles were delivered with a scratch-off panel on a plastic tag that contained the 4 digit PIN code. Starting in 2002, dealerships implemented the WIN2 system to provide SKC's to their technicians and customers. Starting April 1, 2005, VW/Audi dealerships switched to the new GEKO system, whereby their factory scan tools dial up the factory while connected to a car. Under this system, the technician no longer sees the SKC at all and you will need to bring your vehicle into the dealer to have Immobilizer work performed. VAG-COM does not interact with the GEKO system

·
Registered
94 Posts
I think rocketchip has a way to retrieve the SKC. I don't kow how they do it but you can't use a vag-com to do it.

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
I added some info to the immobilizer general section that should help you, unless you already have the SKC, you need a software program to get it. The dealer can't give it to you but they can reprogram keys. Because of the cost involved to get a SKC, the dealer is a decent option depending on the price.

J

·
0 Posts
I paid $200 out the door for a new key plus programming..no way around the rip off since there's no way to get the key code without them. IMO, $100 is a deal, $300 is a rip off, I think I paid an average price. I think $80-100 is a fair price for the key blank plus having it cut, another $100 for programming it and sales tax.

In addition, someone sells a copied version of cvag- tacho on ebay, it's a copied chinese version but from what I hear, it works. It could save you $50 .

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Looks like there's a class action suit on the key, maybe after it we can get the SKCs.

·
Registered
136 Posts
No such luck, it looks like the lawsuit will only let indepedant locksmiths also do the same smart key programming if they pay for the equipment. You still don't get the SKC and I doubt anyone sees the SKC.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Reprogramming Key Fob

I have a 2005 Passat TDI. Trying to make up a spare key or two. I have two used key fobs onto which I have installed blank uncut keys.
A guy on the internet (Mark1vws) sells a cable and software to reprogram the immobilizer. I have not bought it yet.

In the Flip key half of the fob ther is a small RFID "chip" that the immoblizer interrogates when you start the car. If it does not match the stored values it shuts the engine off after 2 seconds. Apparently the immobilizer is reprogrammed to accept the new keys and at that time you have to have ALL the keys present and go through the programming of them ...even the originals...to get them all to work.

My question is this....
On the two used key fobs...do I need to replace the used RFID chip with a new, unused one? OR can I leave them alone and expect them to work if I reprogram the Immobilizer? The guy selling the reprogramming cable and software says I need new chips. I find that hard to believe, but who knows?

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
You have a B5 Passat which uses immo 3. In addition to the cable and software you also need a VCDS to input the SKC. You can refer to the immobilizer FAQ for detailed procedures. Rickb also linked it above.

Mark is correct. If you have a used key fob you cannot reuse the old chip because you can only program the chips once. Immo 2 can reuse old chips. Immo3 and immo4 cannot.

·
Registered
60 Posts
You can also buy the key software and cable off ebay. I wouldn't use it for anything other than reading the SKC number though since I read elsewhere that someone's instrument cluster got messed up when they tried to change the odometer.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts