VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I am after some advice if possible please. I recently changed the camshaft on my wife’s pd150 ARL Golf after it had worn through a lifter. During the job a few things went wrong, one of the spring caps on an injector came away (the lip on the cap broke away, possibly the first time it wasn’t being held down by the follower) I found a kit and replaced this without having to take the injector out. Once started the car had white smoke that stunk of diesel. I thought I may have broken the injector seals whilst messing with the injector so I have since replaced all the o rings on that injector. Upon starting I still have the same issue.
It does seem to be intermittent though, as I restarted the car and it ran beautifully for 30 minutes and then without warning white smoke came out again. I changed the cam using the advanced method and I have since seen that the water hose under the tandem pump is swollen and does smell of diesel. So I may have broken a seal in there somehow. Before changing anything the car had no codes, after all of this it is showing:
17564- manifold pressure sensor (G71): Open/Short to ground P1156-35-00
17569- P1161. -35-00
18072- P1664 -35-00
18080- Coolant fan control 1 open/short to ground P1672 -35-00

also one abs fault:
01314 engine control module
013- check dtc module intermittent

I have checked and I can’t see any damage to wiring, I have replaced the map sensor but still no change. Whilst turning the engine over (without injectionharness connected to get oil to the lifters) the battery did die, I have since charged it fully.
Does anyone have any ideas?

thank you in advance!

·
Super Moderator
9,390 Posts
First posts normally go in introductions else you could get a free fix and we never see you again!!!

Forum Rules and Guidelines

This is a new forum layout with loads of bugs which have been reported in the new thread. There is no TDI Wiki at the moment or original similes. It doesn't show the car spec/location.

We Are Live - Community Feedback

This has been talked about many times.

I've made a poll which no one has posted in, there are a few votes and comments.

Do you like the new forum features?

Wiki pages have been restored as of 7th December, I asked where is the link it should be on top of the main forum.

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
Hi Jack,
can't work out exactly which model you have but from gut and given the faults you got, try looking first at cable loom that goes to air intake sensor (and fan) and tracing back the wiring loom. On one of my cars it goes behind rocker cover and is very difficult to access/see w/o taking off rocker cover. Maybe wiring loom was clamped under rocker cover when you put it back on or something like that? Also on right of engine (standing in front and facing car) underneath tandem pump etc. is potential to damage cables that are difficult to see.
Maybe this helps. Generally, I find with this kind of fault it's really worth spending time looking at all the cables, making sure they are on properly and tracing them end to end

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Jack,
can't work out exactly which model you have but from gut and given the faults you got, try looking first at cable loom that goes to air intake sensor (and fan) and tracing back the wiring loom. On one of my cars it goes behind rocker cover and is very difficult to access/see w/o taking off rocker cover. Maybe wiring loom was clamped under rocker cover when you put it back on or something like that? Also on right of engine (standing in front and facing car) underneath tandem pump etc. is potential to damage cables that are difficult to see.
Maybe this helps. Generally, I find with this kind of fault it's really worth spending time looking at all the cables, making sure they are on properly and tracing them end to end
Thank you Peter. Is a 2002 Golf Mk4 tdi 150. I will try following that loom back. I have resealed the tandem pump today which (fingers crossed) has fixed the slight leak in that area.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Okay, I have checked the wiring and it seems to be okay, the codes are cleared and haven’t come back. The car however is still not right. Upon start up the engine does sound rough with a lot of smoke, once up to temp the engine sounds pretty good but it is still smoking. Once up to temp if I turn it off and restart it it’s like there is no problem, then after around 1 minute the smoke starts again. It stinks of fuel out of the exhaust. Is there any way to have the injectors tested does anyone know?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi again all, I am still having issues with this car. I am not getting any more codes but it’s still smoking. I tried Diesel Purge which didn’t help. I have replaced the injector that I thought may be faulty and no success. My timing seems to be spot on based on Vdcs, so I don’t think it’s anything to do with that.
When the injector loom goes bad do you always get a fault code? The car has now had more spent on it that it’s worth, not sure whether to keep throwing money at it or to cut my losses.

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
what colour is the smoke? Still white? How long did you run it? Injector / seal seems most likely, but if all ok maybe a leak-down / compression test on your pistons. Last time I did it, I did it through the glowplug holes which was a bit fiddly and took time to get the correct adapter (which wasn't easy) but it went fairly easy after that. I had high level of carbon in emissions which turned out to be diaphragm in turbo-cooler controller (forgotten the proper name) but that was blackish smoke. White smoke is normally oil...? After rebuilding there was a fair bit of white smoke until it had run for a bit, then was ok.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi Peter, yes still white with a strong fuel smell. I have tried it on a few runs, it does get a lot better when warm but then does come back. I haven’t touched 3/4 injectors so I am reluctant to think it’s the seals on those. I think you’re right it’s worth getting a compression test done on it now.

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
IMHO: If it's fuel not burning properly it suggests your turbo system rather than oil leaking into your pistons, or worse, both.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts