VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, Had a 06 Jetta TDI lined up to purchase, however it was just sold. Looking for a manual transmission for the best MPG. Now just reading about the cam wear and transmission issues. I am thinking 2003 to 2004. What is your opinion? Love this site!!! Great people involved here!!!
Thank you,

Fasteddie

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
If you're thinking 2003 or 2004, get the 2003. The engine is a little simpler and gets better mpg. And you don't have to worry about camshaft issues at all. Unless you happen to just have a worn camshaft :) The 2004-2006 mk4 cars were also pumpe duse. However, I like the newer style cars more because they have more features.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Get a new one :) More power, bigger, cleaner, and the new body style will hold its value well. 2002-2003 are about the same but they have their own list of problems like falling windows due to bad regulators, bad flywheels too. Avoid the automatic transmission for longevity.

·
Premium Member
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Called on two 2003 Jettas today, one wagon, one sedan BOTH were sold today! I will keep shopping.
Thank you for your input!!!

·
Premium Member
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just found a 2006 with package #2, auto, 93k miles. All of the goodies on it. I do like the goodies, I have been driving a Caddy since 1990. Comparing $14k at 93k miles vs. a 93 TDI Manual with no goodies and 165k miles. I am leaning towards the 06 with the goodies. What expenses on PM would be expected at 93k miles?
Thank you for sharing your wisdom

Ed

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
Camshaft and flywheel are probably bad but there is a chance they could be OK too. The timing belt will definitely need to be done so the camshaft will only be a little more work. I have a 2006 package 2, you will like it :) The only thing better is the 2005.5 package 2.

·
Premium Member
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So do ALL of the 2006 TDIs need camshaft replacement and flywheel replacement? Do the repairs correct the problem or is it reoccuring? What is the frequency of the failures? I see cam shaft kits are about $800. What is the cost of the flywheel replacement at a dealer?
Thanks

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
No, I did a TB on a 2006 which was fine at 100k. Mine was worn. Using thicker oil should help prevent it, there's a guy called franko6 who modifies the bearing caps to increase oiling and uses a lower torque on the rocker bolts. It's a good theory but only time will tell if it's a permanent fix. Nobody really knows the real rate of failure because if a car comes in with a problem it's normally because it has wear. Some believe all will have this failure sooner or later. Flywheel replacement would probably be around $1000-1200 as a total guess. Parts+labor are more expensive at dealer.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts