VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been doing some research on replacing the stock radio in my 2009 JSW. I want Nav and Bluetooth and it seems that the expense of a new RNS 510 and the Bluetooth module that will work for my car will be close to $2500. It would seem to be smarter to go with a new aftermarket unit such as the Alpine INA-W910 which has Parrot Bluetooth included. I can get the module to enable my steering wheel controls and the price will be a little more than half of the OEM systems. I won't be able to use the MFD for Nav but I don't think that is a deal breaker.

Has anyone installed a name brand aftermarket in their 2009 Jetta? Any pitfalls that I am missing or any advice would be appreciated.

Dean

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
I have heard of a couple but it's pretty straightforward. You'll probably need an adapter and make sure you grounds are good. You can tuck the GPS antenna under the dashboard and it'll work fine as well, no need to run wiring.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I'm running the Pioneer AVIC Z120-BT in my JSW.

Only downsides are no MFD navi and since the car has no accessory position, it only works with the key in run. The upside is that it lets me run a complete custom stereo and has functionality the RNS-510 doesn't.

Sorry the picture quality sucks, these are all WIP shots with my cell phone.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow ToeBall, thank you for the reply and photos! Your installation looks great. I do have a couple of questions though;

How does the Bluetooth integration perform? Was there a remote Mic or does it use one in the unit itself.

Did you go with a rear camera and if so how easy was the routing of the wires?

Are you happy with the Pioneer Navi function?

Lastly if you were not going to be adding the additional amps and speakers would you still go with an aftermarket such as your pioneer or would you go with the RNS 510 and OEM Bluetooth?

Thanks again,

Dean

·
Registered
201 Posts
Wow ToeBall, thank you for the reply and photos! Your installation looks great. I do have a couple of questions though;
Any time. Gives me a chance to show off. :D

How does the Bluetooth integration perform? Was there a remote Mic or does it use one in the unit itself.
The BT is better than stock, I think. There doesn't seem to be a limit to the number of contacts you can sync between the head unit and the phone. Also the head unit seems to respond faster and more smoothly. One of the things that sold me specifically on the Z120 was that it works like my iPhone. Swipe to scroll, with physics engine and all that good stuff. Also being able to play Pandora and vote on stuff on the head unit's pretty convenient. It even shows video off my iPhone.

Did you go with a rear camera and if so how easy was the routing of the wires?
I did not, though I'm thinking about retrofitting the OE camera. As with any car pulling wires is the most annoying part.

Are you happy with the Pioneer Navi function?
Very. It even shows some of the buildings in the 3D mode as models. It's pretty cool, and I'm a gadget freak.

Lastly if you were not going to be adding the additional amps and speakers would you still go with an aftermarket such as your pioneer or would you go with the RNS 510 and OEM Bluetooth?
I'm not sure. We put the RNS-510/9W7 setup in my dad's car and it's pretty nice. The turn by turn on the MFD isn't a big deal by itself but being able to dial from the phone book or see who's calling on the MFD's pretty nice. Supposedly the newer RNS-510 is just coming out and when combined with the 9WX BT module can even text from the head unit. Might be overkill, since I don't believe in texting while driving, but isn't that what passengers are for?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey great response ToeBall thanks. I am going to look into both options and make my decision this fall. thanks again.

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Car/AppRadio

Check this out if you are an iPhone devotee.

AppRadio (SPH-DA01)

A Revolutionary Way to Use Apps in the Car

• Control compatible apps from the convenience of the industry's first capacitive, multi-touch display
  • Designed to grow with iOS and an expanding library of compatible apps
  • Compatible with iPhone® 4 and iPod Touch® 4th Gen
Suggested Price: $399.99

I have not seen this in action, but the product page has videos.

Cool.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts