Discussion Starter #1
The 04 TDI has a short list of allowable oil:

Elf Elf Solaris LSX SAE 5W-30
Castrol Castrol SLX Professional VW 505 01 SAE 5W-40
Castrol Castrol SLX 505 01 SAE 5W-40
Castrol Castrol SLX Professional OE SAE 5W-30
Motul Motul Specific 505 01 502 00 505 01 SAE 5W-40
Total Total Quartz Ineo MC3 SAE 5W-30

Does anyone know where to buy this locally? I am in Southern NH.

Thanks for the help!

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
I buy my oil online due to the difficulty of finding good stuff. I would go with 5w-40 for the 2004 since it has a pumpe duse engine.

some places: kermatdi.com , boraparts.com, idparts.com.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Darn, that stinks, with all the TDI's on the road, the only place to buy oil is online? Thats one strike against them I suppose.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
just to be clear, does this mean I cannot use Mobil1 ESP (5W-30) in my 04 BEW TDI? The mobil1 website says ESP is recommended for the 04 TDI but the oil is only available at a chrysler dealer.

·
Registered
85 Posts
just to be clear, does this mean I cannot use Mobil1 ESP (5W-30) in my 04 BEW TDI? The mobil1 website says ESP is recommended for the 04 TDI but the oil is only available at a chrysler dealer.

Is it VW Spec 505.01 approved? From what I hear, 5w-40 is the way to go but if you have cam wear it's too late anyways. The new ones take only 507.00 spec and that's hard to find too.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Two days ago I found Lubro Moly oil for my 2005 TDI at the NAPA Auto Parts store in Bloomington, Indiana. If you have a NAPA store in your area, you might be pleasantly surprised.

·
Registered
32 Posts
You can get the right oil at the VW Dealer in Nashua on the DW highway. Prices are not bad as I have paid $7.99 for a liter of the 507.00 oil for my 2010 Jetta TDI. This is not much more than you would pay for a full synthetic at any parts store.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Don't know why I did not do this first, but i called the local VDUB dealer in Manchester and they have castrol pro 505.01 for 7.49/qt.

Thanks all!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts