VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's driving me crazy that the hyper-efficient engine isn't available in US.
Is it possible to purchase a VW Jetta or Audi TDI 1.6L in the EU, ship it home and register it in California?

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
Short answer - no, long answer - yes. The only way is to build your own as a kit car. In some states as long as it's road worthy they'll let you register it. At least in my state and probably in California, it has to meet all emissions standards.
In addition, importing the car would cost more than any possible fuel savings.

You could register it as an off road or show car.

The only way that I think you could do it is to swap the engine yourself and not tell anybody. As long as it can pass emissions and all the computer diagnostics work at the emissions testing station they would never know.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Its gona cost you so much that you won't get the initial investment back from the fuel diff from 2.0 to 1.6, or 1.4

How about mexico or argentina? I know they usually have the same models from europe as opposed to US?

·
Registered
25 Posts
That would be a totally cool car - you just couldn't brag about it through ;) or the feds might grab it! You'd also need a transmission have to do any wiring yourself but when there's a will there's a way.

·
Registered
102 Posts
gray market cars

Hi:

I am not an expert but there are issues. If it comes in as a new car I think you have VAT and duty and tariffs. There are EPA issues and it has to meet Federal pollution and safety standards and the Feds need certain letters from the foreign country's EPA saying it meets Fed standards. I looked into this when I wanted a 2009 Canadian Spec JSW TDI with steering wheel controls which the Canadians got and we did not.

Moreover, apparently there may be a VW dealer agreement not to sell to Americans taking the car from Canada to the USA and vice versa nso perhaps there is something like that in Europe or Mexico.

Its a daunting task to get these cars into the USA. In fact when I owned a Mazda MX-5 and was on the e- boards I noticed that a guy bought one in Oregon and tried to take it home to California and could not get it registered because it failed to meet CA emission standards and actually needed to sell it immediately as the car was not approved for CA.

I would look for a gray marketeer to do the dirty work for you.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I know we canadians can buy a car from a US VW dealer, but from MY2009, VW Canada will void the warranty.
That's their way of stoping Canadian buyers from crossing the border and get their car for less.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I believe that you may buy a car overseas and have it shipped back if you are a member of the U.S. Military. Not a big help for most but I thought I'd mention it.

Casey

1 - 7 of 7 Posts