VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Normal cars are down to about 50 percent after 3 years. I would say the TDI is 75 percent after 3 years. I've noticed even the 98 jetta is still worth about $5000. Once the new cars come out, I don't even think values will come down much due to supply.

·
Premium Member
278 Posts
I doubt used prices will come down for a while.

And sadly, I doubt the new jetta prices will come down for a while either. The dealers will try to get as much as possible for them and there might be some markup over MSRP for a while.

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
If you search around and are willing to drive, you can find good dealers. Think about it, driving 3 hours to another dealer might save you $2000....worth your time?

·
Premium Member
137 Posts
don't bet on it either way...its like stocks, buy low sell high and you will do okay, it much harder to buy high sell high :)

My advice: be flexible when shopping for new/used and then ask on the high side will you try to sell but be willing to move down. And DONT do trade in, the dealer makes their money by reselling your car and TDIs are in demand.

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
I don't think prices will level off just because of supply- demand. As diesel cars get more popular, more people will be looking for the used TDIs.

You can't predict the future though. Just buy what you like and pay what you can afford to. Supply of the new TDI will take a while to catch up with demand, so it doesn't look good.

I don't think I would ever pay much over MSRP...just look at another dealer and don't get the "ether" in your head when you are looking at new cars, even used cars, otherwise you won't be able to think straight.

Walk into the deal with the mindset that you are going to walk away. Think about it, if you meet someone on the street and act like you are ready to marry the person, unless you get ...umm are a lucky person, I don't think it will go well. But if you come off as someone with other options, you will do better for yourself.

·
Premium Member
70 Posts
I'm pretty sure that if you "meet someone on the street[corner]" you'll get lucky J/K

You should write a dating faq.

·
Premium Member
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If you pay over MSRP, you take an initial hit of depreciation over someone who paid under MSRP too.

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
Costco also has a car buying program. I've never tried it but I always see it leaving the store...I wonder what kind of deals they can give?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts