VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am I alone in finding the alternatives shown in the 'Wheel' section somewhat lacking? Indeed there are quite a variety of wide spokes, 5 spokes, 7 spokes, 19 spokes, different wheel configurations, etc. etc., all it seems requiring rather subjective aesthetic judgments as to which wheel might be ' better' than another. Very few of the possible choices include their respective weights, type of construction ( cast vs forged ), or any other criteria which might help in making a choice. What about the aerodynamic characteristics of one vs another? Does anyone know of an aluminum wheel in a pure ' moon' configuration that would go a long way in answering the mpg issues discussed at some lengths on these pages?
Bill

·
Premium Member
5,942 Posts
I don't think it's been looked at in great detail because the gains would be so little that nobodies interested enough besides I think the tyre is going to make a bigger impact because it'll cut a path for the rest of the wheel, you also get those michelin tyres for increased economy but the price of them kills any savings. That's the way I see it personally anyway, I think aerodynamics would have a far greater impact ie: body kits, roofbars removed, an undertray that goes the full length of the car to keep it as smooth and flat as possible etc:)

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
I publish all info I can find about the wheels. It's often not possible to know if it's cast or forged but you can tell from the weight that they're almost all cast. Almost all OEM wheels are cast due to the cost of forged wheels. I think there are a few Audi wheels that are forged to save weight. There's no way to know how much they weigh unless someone weighs them and posts it somewhere.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Aerodynamics

Chitty,
Apologies if I sounded critical of your efforts re the ' OEM VW Audi wheel gallery. It is a great and valuable effort and as comprehensive a collection of wheel info available. ( At least that I have been able to unearth )
Given the cars we have to work with, besides issues of wheel and overall vehicle weight, tire size and pressures, driving techniques etc. aero improvements seem to be the only unanswered questions where progress might be made.
VW addresses these issues directly in their latest prototype design efforts. After reducing weight,and frontal area, drag coefficients are honed as low as possible to get the mpg's as high as possible.
See the latest VW diesel hybrid the XL-1
www.gizmag.com/volkswagen-261-mpg-xl1-prototype/17682/
Seatman has it right re the belly pan, but I'm not so sure that wheel improvements would not be unwarranted. In any kind of side wind some of these wheels could be acting as fans, pushing or pulling air to the detriment of forward progress.
Bill

·
Premium Member
5,942 Posts
"In any kind of side wind some of these wheels could be acting as fans, pushing or pulling air to the detriment of forward progress."

Interesting point:)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts