VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently, it was brought to my attention that VWs wear Contis. However, my Passat is rolling on Hankooks? What gives? Are other owners sporting Hankooks or Contis?

·
Super Moderator
9,464 Posts
No I still have the original Bridgestone Potenza 225/45R17 which seem ok.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The Continentals are made in the USA, the Hankooks are made in Korea. I have to believe that there are VW of America employees reading these sites and I hope they send this feedback up the chain of command. The change to Hankooks occurred after most of the magazine road tests, and can only be seen as a downgrade. It may not change any buying decisions, but it is certainly a weakening of VW's commitment to American content and manufacturing.

·
Registered
27 Posts
My neighbor rode in our TDI SEL and loved everything about the car but the road noise. They bought a Camry because of the noise. My car has the crap Hankooks. Too bad a wonderful car can be seriously hurt by the bean counters. Wonder how many sales have been lost to cheap tires.....

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
My neighbor rode in our TDI SEL and loved everything about the car but the road noise. They bought a Camry because of the noise. My car has the crap Hankooks. Too bad a wonderful car can be seriously hurt by the bean counters. Wonder how many sales have been lost to cheap tires.....
That is just crazy... like you can't replace the tires. I would never choose a Toyota over a VW. I ended up putting different tires when I got my 19" wheels.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I agree. Just get new tires. I just thought that all VW came with Continentals, this being my first Vee-Dub. Love it , so far.

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
The factory tires on my Passat TDI SEL are 18" Hankooks. Others on this thread have expressed concerns about VW's choice. Still less than 1000 miles on the car, but I haven't noticed anything wrong with the Hankooks. If they meet specs, I'll give them the benefit of the doubt.

Concerning brand.... We put expensive Michelin MXV4 tires on our Audi... worst set of tires I've ever purchased. (USA built, hard feel, poor handling, balanced 4 times but still not right and increasing noise as a few thousand miles have passed) Going to replace them when we can afford it. I thought Michelin was a gold standard until now.

I do, however, agree with the people who prefer Continentals. We had a VW Cabriolet with factory sport Continentals that were great trouble free tires. We put sport Yokohama tires on after that... also, very good performance tires.

·
Registered
27 Posts
The simple fact is that many people don't care what tires are on the car they test drive and they sure don't know that the fix is a $1000 set of tires. These are not people on car forums. They test drive a car and buy the one they like the most. If both cars are equal in their mind but one is noisier which one do you think they buy? The other sad fact is if they buy the Toyota and it gives them reasonable service, they'll buy another one.

VW is trying to increase market share, This means paying attention to the details. As we all know, once you buy a VW, you keep buying them.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I still have the Bridgestone Turanza SL400 that came with the car..
The look good.. 8000 miles on it.. one rotation done at 5K..

I have been thinking when I need new tires I will see if the 255/40/18 will work..
I will try this first with a used $40 used tires to see how the tires and wheel set and also check the clearance when put in the car..

·
Registered
38 Posts
I also have Hankook 235-45-R18 tires. They seem fine.
I have a set of Nitto NT 05's that are overpriced, rough and noisy not to mention they need replaced every 4,000 miles.
But they grip like glue when you are putting 540 hp down
I also have a set of super swamper boggers that are so loud you can not hear or talk on the cell phone. You can go anywhere with these and a winch.
There are plenty of tires out there that are quiet and ride smooth but how do you decide what the best tire is for all conditions.
The weather is different everywhere.

·
Registered
28 Posts
New tires, already!

While night driving (3/9) at 80mph on I-40 near Gallup, NM, I was abruptly surprised when I hit a huge pothole. It was a pretty violent jolt/bang. After gaining control, I tested for any shimmy/sway (none), then gingerly drove the remaining way to Albuquerque. The next morning, I discovered a 1.5" diameter blister on the front driver's outside sidewall (Hankook 235/45-18). Since the local ABQ VW dealer did not have my tire available (5-6 day wait), I tried Costco (nothing), and then went to Discount Tire (aka America's Tire), where I had to buy two Michelin Pilot HX MXM4 94V for the front. -not so lucky since this happened at 3,300 odo miles, but at least I'm around to write about it >after $547. I think that these Michelins are smooth and quiet. I allowed them to put the new tires on the front since my overall miles are low. -a small technical problem when I first drove off, is that the TPMS light/voice came on after 10 miles. I went back to the tire place, and the rep said that installer forgot to reset the TPMS. Lesson: the best thing to do, is to do (or re-do) this yourself. I am now safely back home in the SF Bay Area, and will take a serious look to see if there is any wheel damage, etc.my two cents

·
Registered
72 Posts
I'd save your receipt. Tires should be covered under road hazard warranty. I believe dealers cover tires for 1 year.

Personally (& w/o seeing your tire), I may have kept running the tire until I got to my home dealer ... or swapped to the spare if I was really concerned. Depending on the size, a bubbled sidewall can hold quite a long time and shelling out almost $600 on a road trip sucks. The 5-6 day time frame the dealer gave you is insane. They could've ordered from TireRack and received them next day.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I'd save your receipt. Tires should be covered under road hazard warranty. I believe dealers cover tires for 1 year.

Personally (& w/o seeing your tire), I may have kept running the tire until I got to my home dealer ... or swapped to the spare if I was really concerned. Depending on the size, a bubbled sidewall can hold quite a long time and shelling out almost $600 on a road trip sucks. The 5-6 day time frame the dealer gave you is insane. They could've ordered from TireRack and received them next day.
Thanks for your comments. I may give it the "college try" with the tire receipt to Hankook, but after reading their tire hazard warranty, I kinda doubt that I will have any luck with the typical industry policy regarding sidewall (bruises/blisters) damage.
In my case, I did not have any available time to wait for anything but a quick replacement tire, and given my tire's size, I think that I was lucky to find a Michelin tire that would fit. Frankly, I would be a bit nervous driving a tire with a sizable bubble, or the space-saver spare for the 600 mile return (ABQ-SFO) trip, so the $$$ were not even a concern.
Overall, my Passat is a great car; it handles very well! Great mileage, and a great ride.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Consumer Reports recommends this tire, and it is $6 more than continentals. The only difference in the tests, it shows more rolling resistance over the Continental ECOPLUS+. Oh, and they're rated at 100,000 miles vs. 80,000. There are no less than 4 star ratings by owners.

I've had "crap Hankooks" on my 3/4 ton truck that outlasted my BFGs, Nitto, and Yokohama. :D

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
My tdi se manual came with the 17 inch hankooks. Only time I notice any road noise is on crappy country roads, or on concrete bridges (and its minimal), other than that sound is non existent on other road surfaces, especially on the turnpike its silent. I notice on other forums the vast majority of complaints with the hankooks seem to be on the 18 inchers. But mine are more than acceptable, and I see no need to swap out with other tires.

·
Registered
167 Posts
On delivery I had Hankooks, traded within 2 two weeks for Michelin Primacy MXM4's. Had to move up 1 speed rating to meet the factory size.

Tirerack test results;

·
Registered
254 Posts
Thanks for posting the comparisons. Good to see my favorite has fitment for the Passat (General Altimax HP). Went 108K on my last set, and only replaced at the time for improved snow traction/handling -- which in hindsight was not needed this year. Could have went another 20K.

1 - 20 of 86 Posts