VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
220 Posts
30-32 seems to give good economy, good tirewear, and good handling. 28 would be low. If you carry lots of heavy things, 33-34 would be better as long as you don't go past the cold tire pressure on the side of the tire.

Depends on the tire too, and always check the tire pressure when the car has sat for at least a few hours and is cold! TP will be higher when the tire are hot.

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
I have always put in 40 psi as long as I have a tire that has a capacity of 44 psi max, a little bumpy when driving on the hwy. but good results for the MPG.

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
Good ide to always check the cold max pressure because some tires are limited at 40 psi. If you carry a lot of stuff, then a higher pressure would be good as long as you don't exceed the cold pressure.

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
Also remember to increase tire psi within acceptable limits if you carry more weight in the car. The main reason is because the weight of the car is supported mostly by the air pressure inside the tires...unless you have runflats and have 4 flat tires.

Raise the psi for the front and rear if you are carrying passengers and luggage. This is why the front tires normally do best in many cars with a few psi more than the rear - because they are supporting the weight of the engine. If you cornerweight the car you will see the F-R, L-R balance. You can do this by measuring the tire contact patch with chalk dust or some paint, or even better, go to a speed shop that specializes in race suspensions.

J

·
0 Posts
I guess that finding a speed shop to measure your tire pressure would be pretty expensive, no?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts