VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello and thank in advance .
ok so I have seen the tsb's on the approved oils list but when I look on the labels of some
they don't specifically state if they are 504/507 spec oils. I was wandering which oils I could use
that are 504/507 specs and that I can purchase locally from Walmart , autozone , oriellys ,
or any of the other parts stores.
next question , I've been reading that after a fuel filter change that I will need a vcds scanner to purge the
air from the fuel system , now my owners manual states that it could take up to a minute or longer
to start the car if it runs out of fuel do to air in the system . so with that being said will I still need a vcds
to run the pumps to purge the system. btw the car is a 2012 Audi A3 premium sportback .

·
Super Moderator
8,924 Posts
Which oil grade to use has been talked about many times on here VW 507 is the normal for TDI-CR engines.

As for fuel filter change you need access to VAG-COM\VCDS to purge the system. Some say just turn the ignition of and on a few times. That only runs the fuel pump in the tanks for a couple of seconds to top the system
up.

Any problems search TDI Wiki as that covers write ups and forum posts.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks keithuk , but as I may have mentioned the labels on some of the oils that I have looked at
don't specifically say vw 507 00 . I looked at several oils on the approved vw /audi list but if
you look at the back labels they don't specify vw 507 00. was curious as to what oils I could get locally
here in the US. and as far as purging the fuel system would the owners manual be incorrect in stating
it may take longer to start the car after filling it when it ran out fuel ?

·
Premium Member
72 Posts
Purging air from the fuel system doesn't require VCDS(if it has a feature for this purpose I was unaware of it). If you cycle your key to the ON position and OFF many many times it will eventually fill up the air in your fuel filter canister. But it's better to top it off with new fuel(less need to cycle it ON and OFF to purge air but still should do it a little)

·
Premium Member
527 Posts
If the label on an oil can does not indicate VW 50700 it does not contain VW50700 oil.
Purging the air from the fuel system after filter change is essential for the survival of the high pressure fuel pump. When it dies, the remaining parts of the high pressure fuel distribution - injectors - are gone, too.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts