VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I looked at the video reviews but what else made you choose the Golf TDI instead of....I'm also looking at the GTI, the Honda Fit, and the Mini. I want a new car or maybe certified used and don't mind smaller cars.

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
I looked at the video reviews but what else made you choose the Golf TDI instead of....I'm also looking at the GTI, the Honda Fit, and the Mini. I want a new car or maybe certified used and don't mind smaller cars.
i came from a jetta, i looked at the Fit and insight, the most important feature i liked was the fuel mileage and also that it had a sunroof. that was one of the most important features to me.

·
Registered
135 Posts
it was not a choice whatsoever for me. I was not even looking for a car and infact I always said I would never buy a new car.

For me the car came to me as if it were built just for me or there was an inner calling. Everything about the car, was...so to speak synchronistic. I feel that it is an extension of me.

·
Registered
85 Posts
when I was looking at cars, I had the new TDI's seriously on my minds for a while. so I was seriously considering either a Jetta TDI or the Golf. I was also looking at Hyundai Elantra SE and Mazda 3 (because of consumer reports). I looked for fuel efficiency, cost effectiveness and just fun to drive. Elantra was the cheap option and I may have actually bought that one if they had any in stock when I went for a test drive. I liked the Mazda 3 but thought it was kinda short for me (turns out I think I just needed to pump the seat down or whatever...). Then I test drove the Jetta and pre-ordered a Golf instead because of the new Mk 6 styling. I just fell in love with the torque from the TDI too.

So there's my story.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I wanted a practical car that gave good fuel economy. My leased Mazda CX9was going back; I loved the space it has, but with an average of 19 mpg it used a lot of gas. After looking at a number of economy cars like the Honda Fit (nice but weak performance), Mazda 3 (did not like styling), Ford Fusion Hybrid (expensive and droning CVT), Toyota Prius (nice but dull), I narrowed my choice to the Golf, Jetta and BMW 335d, all TDI. The BMW is good but lacks the utility of a hatchback or wagon, it has prodigous torque, but similarly equipped, costs almost double the VW's. I felt the VW's were 90% of the 335d at 55% of the price and, they have dipsticks, no iDrive, no expensive, troublesome, run flat tires. I liked the Jetta Wagon for it's space, but it is not available with cloth seats and vinyl is just too hot in Florida. That left the Golf, and I must admit it was a tough choice because I drove a GTI too and liked it! In the end I chose the TDI because it had better economy, was more refined, and considerably taller geared for relaxed cruising, important because I'll be using it for daily commuting 37 miles each way. If it were to be my only car, I might have chosen the GTI but I'm fortunate to have a high performance roadster when the need for speed calls.

I'm delighted with my choice and look forward to driving the TDI every morning.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks. I realize they are totally different cars and if I could choose I'd have 2. I am liking the high fuel economy of the Golf vs. the GTI but the GTI has the extra sportiness and seats which would cost extra to add to a Golf. The Honda Fit has a lot more room than you'd expect it to which is nice and I don't want a wagon.

·
Registered
27 Posts
So far as I can tell, the seats in the Golf TDI are the same as the GTI, just covered in a different material. If considering a Fit, if you drive on the freeway often, make sure you test drive it there. I found the Fit weak and screamy on the highway, no comparison to the TDI.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I used to own an 04 Civic Si and I wanted to replace it with a similar size hatchback. Honda doesn't make Civic hatchbacks anymore, and the Honda Fit is too small for my tastes. I wanted a four door b/c I'm expecting a baby in October so that ruled out the Volvo C-30. I also hate the styling of the new Mazda 3, it looks cheap to me. The old style was 100 times better. I originally looked at the GTI but when I compared the gas mileage it was a no brainer and I was willing to give up the extra power of the GTI (after all now that I'm a dad I shouldn't be driving like an idiot anymore :D) I also looked at the A3 TDI but realized that the Golf TDI had the same engine with more options for less.

Seriously, though the TDI interior and options kills the competition. I'm getting about 53 mpg on average during my work day commuting which is probably almost double what I was getting in my Civic Si.:nana2:

·
Registered
27 Posts
I know some may argue, but, in just normal driving around, the TDI feels more responsive than the GTI! Its only when you rev out the GTI that the extra 60 ponies are apparent. Congrats on becoming a father! The responsibility will slow you down, not the car - trust me, a TDI can be driven at "idiot" speeds too!

·
Premium Member
174 Posts
I felt the VW's were 90% of the 335d at 55% of the price and, they have dipsticks, no iDrive, no expensive, troublesome, run flat tires.
I drove a GTI too and liked it! In the end I chose the TDI because it had better economy, was more refined, and considerably taller geared for relaxed cruising, important because I'll be using it for daily commuting 37 miles each way.
I'm with you on these points.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Chose a TDI

I looked at both the TDI and the GTI and ordered a TDI the end of February. For me the higher mileage and tax credit were hard to pass. I am still waiting but I'll now be getting a 2011 in August due to the tooling change at the factory.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I started out looking at a GTI. The TDI offers a very similar suspension and tire setup, same interior (minus red stitching and flat-bottomed steering wheel). Fuel mileage is much better, fuel costs will be close (premium vs. diesel). The TDI actually felt stronger in real-world driving because of the torque surge at 2000 rpm. Insurance will be a lot cheaper.
Therefore, I ended up with a TDI. The tax credit sealed the deal for me.

btw, I also wanted to consider a Mazda3, but just couldn't get over the styling, the interior felt more plasticky (even though it is one of the better interiors in the class), and mileage wasn't that impressive.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I chose the Golf TDI 4-Door over the CC Sport

The Golf I had custom ordered with Xenon, Dynaudio, Sunroof, Cold-Weather Pkg, Auto/DSG. I just preferred the golf even thought the CC was a $3,000 more car and the payment was $20 cheaper. I really don't mind cloth seats as the Subaru Impreza 2.5 I had before was cloth. Plus I am pumped for the upgraded sound and touch screen radio as the stereo and sound system in the Subaru kind of sucked!

The CC had the MDI cable that is standard in the Golf TDI, and Chrome Exhaust tips as only added options. Also, comes with Leatherette, Auto lights, Full power front seats, and 9w2 bluetooth. Lacks tax credit, fuel mileage of the tdi, Sunroof & Xenon not even an option on the sport trim level. Plus the only CC Sport that had the MDI cable from factory was Mocha Brown and I did not like that color.

Now I just need the EGR, or whatever problem I am having where the car just limps home after I have 31 miles on the car

·
Registered
148 Posts
Instead of a ...

Fit - noisy on road, like my past Civic (07)

Mazda 3 - 5 Speed, poor mileage and tire noise

Chevrolet Equinox - mileage and they took the money

Tuscon - mileage worries.

Mini - reliability worries, two people I know who have them would never buy one again (both have turbo models). Plus that dash board, ew.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Speaking only in terms of GTI vs TDI, I chose the TDI simply based on the mileage. Having owned a 2003 GTI VR6, and then a 2006 GTI MKV 2.0T, I can point out a few things. My commute had been 6 miles or less of purely city driving with 11 stop lights for both of the GTI's, so mileage wasn't that important to me. I think I averaged around 21 mpg in the VR6, but MAN i loved that 6 cylinder pull in that little but heavy car. When I stepped up to the 2.0T, I couldn't beleive how similar the power was to the VR6, and how much better the mileage was. I probably averaged around 26 mpg for that short city commute. That doesn't sound like a whole lot, but when you get that thing on the freeway, you can really milk some good mileage out of it. That was the beauty of that motor to me. I could really rip it up when I wanted to, but at the same time get great mileage if I babied it on the freeway. I remember one trip where I absolutely ripped up some twisties in the country roads all weekend and found the true intentions of the car's performance. When it was time to head back home, I used Cruise Control, with the Air Conditioning on, but went the exact speed limit for about a 3.5 hour trip. Door to door I got 38.3 mpg, which is obscene when you consider what it was able to do in the twisty roads. I don't think there is any other motor like the 2.0T on the planet that I know of. Well anyway we moved to the country and I now have a 21 mile commute with very few stops. I went with the TDI and so far have been averaging between 46-50 mpg per tank. That being said, it is still really snappy when you want it to be. The corners are a little mushy, but for everday driving it is a much smoother ride. A decent compromise in my opinion. I love the car, and didn't see anything in the other cars that would make me considering one at all. Yes the VW's are quirky at times and entertain electrical gremlins on a regular basis, but the fit and finish is spectacular and the overall product is like nothing else out there. Had I not moved to having a longer commute, you best beleive I would be driving a new GTI or waiting for that Golf R, but for now the TDI gets me there currently at 49.1 mpg on this tank, and allows me to have some serious fun at the same time. The power and fuel efficiency of both the GTI and the TDI will surprise most anybody. Do your research, drive them both, make your decision. I miss my GTI's so much, but I do not have an ounce of regret for getting the TDI. I love it equally!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts