VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On ordered cars vs. I'll take the next car you get? In the NE I'm getting 1.5 months just for the next car in stock. I'm hearing some in stock here and there, when do you think it will get better?

·
Registered
69 Posts
My choices when I ordered on Dec. 3 were possible January delivery of a color I quite like (black) but with options I didn't really want (pano, iPod), or a color I can "live with" but wouldn't have chased after (white gold), still with pano but no iPod interface. Both are sticks.

I went for the white gold, which looks more like silver to me in most kinds of light, and I'm awaiting a status update Dec. 16 for projected delivery around Xmas.

-dan
(Cape Cod)

·
Registered
85 Posts
I ordered mine early October with all the options exactly as I wanted and they told me 8-10 weeks. It turned out they were pretty much dead on, since I picked up my car at week 10. But seems like demand has picked up a bit since then so not sure what to expect now.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Dealer says 3 months

I ordered a TDI waqen in White, with black interior, pano roof, navi, 17" wheels on November 30th. He says I should expect it in about 3 months, 8 weeks would be nice!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I placed my order on Nov3rd for jswtdi. I did recieve a VIN today so It must be in/out of production. Dealer says mid Jan delivery as promised initially. I'll let you know if they come through, good service so far. I'm in central NJ. Dealer also has a black jswtdi 6m on lot for several weeks now.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I ordered my JSW on Dec. 3. The order changed three times, because I made it clear I wanted it by 12/31 to get the sales tax deduction so they had to hunt around a lot.

My car arrived at the dealer today, is being prepped, and should be in my driveway in a few hours.

-dan

·
Registered
1 Posts
I got lucky it seems. After learning there wasn't going to be any 2010 Golf tdi in the Twin Cities area for some time, I just did a 500 mile search at cars.com and found the exact color/options I wanted in a couple minutes and bought it over the phone. Literally took me 5 minutes to find my car. Paid msrp.
Bought from Lithia VW in Johnston, Iowa near Des Moines. Ken Portsche helped me through the process and was great. I believe there is still one available at Stan Olsen VW in Omaha as well.
Picked it up yesterday and drove it about 120 to Nebraska just before the storm hit. Drives great. 32 degrees and averaged 44.4 mpg in mixed driving.
Have to drive it today with expected 6-12 inches on the ground. We'll just see how good this handles in the snow.

Candy White 4dr, 6-sp auto DSG tdi, Sunroof, cwp(heated seats, etc.), Golf mat kit

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hello to anyone who cares. I took delivery of my new JSW this week, actually the dealer released the car to my wife without paying, to surprize me when I returned from a B-trip. I ordered the car Nov 3rd and recieved it Jan 12th as promised. I paid $200 under invoice, and was able to order off the 2009 price list so I saved another $300 on 20010 price increases. Service from World VW (central NJ) has been outstanding so far. Buying process was the quickest/easiest in my experience buying cars. Still have to close the deal though, but I don't expect any problems. Car looks great, although I haven't driven it much yet. Plan to break it in easy, thanks for the tips. Will register on fuelly.com to log real world milage. Love this forum and will post any questions or info as it comes up. Thanks Chitty.

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
Wow, how is that dealer still in business? $200 under invoice on the 2009 price for a 2010....and you took delivery without even paying?

Did you even put down a deposit or did you just give a pinky swear?:D

·
Registered
69 Posts
Are we seeing yet another mixup of the terms "invoice" and "sticker" (MSRP)?

Invoice is what the dealer pays for the car (though it does not reflect manufacturer discounts and programs that can lower the dealer's cost). So if they continue to sell cars at $200 below invoice they will either drop their profit down to an estimated $200 or so per car, or go in the hole on each sale. Either way, take a nice photo of the dealership as a collector's item, as it won't be there long [g].

-dan

·
Registered
7 Posts
I had to wait 7 weeks. Ordered in mid-November and took delivery first week of Jan. Because most of what dealer had on order were "sold" cars and did not have anything that they could trade another dealership for, I basically had to wait until mine came from the factory.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Ordered in mid-October, still haven't received anything and nothing is coming in near future! Why? Because VW doesn't seem interested in sending the car that I want, Shark Blue, 4 door with manual transmission, cold-weather package and sunroof. Very few of the new shark blue colored vehicles are being sent to US and always with automatic transmission. I want to buy what I want, not what a dealer wants to sell me.:mad:

·
Registered
482 Posts
It's a matter of allocations. Your dealer doesn't have any. Put down some refundable deposits at other dealers and wait for the first one to come in. Don't worry, they will be able to sell your car to someone else.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Danham you are right, I meant MSRP- sticker price, sorry for the mix up all that new car smell got me crazy! I still feel I got a pretty good deal.

·
Registered
27 Posts
You can check there are just 3 Shark Blue Golf TDI in the entire US right now or about to be delivered. I even checked what is in Germany, in that entire country is just a single Shark Blue Golf TDI (2.0 l/140 HP what we get in US). So I don't know what it is about allocations, but VW doesn't seem to be allocating very many shark blue colored cars to anybody. I don't know why they came out with a new color and not even sell it, its almost always Black, White, Silver or Gray (boring).

And of course what they do send to US is almost always (90%) automatic (boring) transmission. Why stop at automatic transimission, why not automatic accelarator, automatic braking, automatic steering? Why not just take the subway or bus then???

·
Registered
135 Posts
Ordered in mid-October, still haven't received anything and nothing is coming in near future! Why? Because VW doesn't seem interested in sending the car that I want, Shark Blue, 4 door with manual transmission, cold-weather package and sunroof. Very few of the new shark blue colored vehicles are being sent to US and always with automatic transmission. I want to buy what I want, not what a dealer wants to sell me.:mad:
It sounds like you are going thru a dealership in a smaller town that simply is not getting any TDI allotments by Germany. I don't know if anyone here has ever discussed why certain dealers get allocations and other do not, but I know it happens. I think that I would be going to another dealership if I were you. BTW, check cars.com there is a shark blue 4dr on there. And btw, we have a 2dr shark blue in the Seattle area. I drove it last weekend. Its at Campbell-Nelson VW in Edmonds, WA. Unfortunately it has a $2k second sticker and its a automatic, or I would have drove it home. This is one dealership that told me they do not get any TDI Golf allocations, it's simply Germany sending them the cars without their control.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Actually I'm in Washington DC area, which has about 10 dealerships in the area, and probably about 3 million people in the greater metro area. What I see is that not a single dealership within 250 miles of Washington has any Shark Blue Golfs since October. Yes there are a four out there, but all are over 250 miles away (closest in Tennessee about 350 miles and 6.5 hours away and it is priced over MSRP). I can't just drive 250 miles to get a new car, that's ridiculous. And I can't put 10 $500 dollar (total $5000) deposits at each dealership. I don't think that is what's going on. Somebody has decided to send only about 10% vehicles with manual transmission, and those usually end up in places like Michigan or Washington State or some non-major urban area. Each of those Shark Blue are automatic/DSG. Sorry, but I want a manual, especially for this car which is supposed to have sport suspension, etc. How lame is it to get a sporty car with automatic transmission (my opinion)?

So I'm still waiting for a Shark Blue, 4-door, with manual transmission. I can wait, but not forever (beyond July is ridiculous). I still don't understand how VW (or VW of America) decides how cars come into the US. They seem to decide what comes over, in what colors they assume people want, and with 90% automatic transmission because the assume that is what all Americans want.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Actually I'm in Washington DC area, which has about 10 dealerships in the area, and probably about 3 million people in the greater metro area. What I see is that not a single dealership within 250 miles of Washington has any Shark Blue Golfs since October. Yes there are a four out there, but all are over 250 miles away (closest in Tennessee about 350 miles and 6.5 hours away and it is priced over MSRP). I can't just drive 250 miles to get a new car, that's ridiculous. And I can't put 10 $500 dollar (total $5000) deposits at each dealership. I don't think that is what's going on. Somebody has decided to send only about 10% vehicles with manual transmission, and those usually end up in places like Michigan or Washington State or some non-major urban area. Each of those Shark Blue are automatic/DSG. Sorry, but I want a manual, especially for this car which is supposed to have sport suspension, etc. How lame is it to get a sporty car with automatic transmission (my opinion)?

So I'm still waiting for a Shark Blue, 4-door, with manual transmission. I can wait, but not forever (beyond July is ridiculous). I still don't understand how VW (or VW of America) decides how cars come into the US. They seem to decide what comes over, in what colors they assume people want, and with 90% automatic transmission because the assume that is what all Americans want.
well, I personally don't think that 250 to drive to get what you want is unreasonable. Just my opinion, though I totally agree with your frustration. I do still think that if we all just be patient, the allotments will pick up. I bet in another year we'll see several cars sitting on lots waiting for customers to come in and buy. I have also found that like 90% are the DSG cars, which is not what I want either. But if you have not driven the DSG, give it a try if you can. It's a real performer and it is fun to drive. Not really like a traditional auto trany.

BTW the shark blue, if you have not seen it in person yet is much better than in photos!

good luck with your eternal wait. I think I may have a lead on an incoming shark blue 2dr manual here. :)

·
Registered
27 Posts
well, I personally don't think that 250 to drive to get what you want is unreasonable. Just my opinion, though I totally agree with your frustration. I do still think that if we all just be patient, the allotments will pick up. I bet in another year we'll see several cars sitting on lots waiting for customers to come in and buy. I have also found that like 90% are the DSG cars, which is not what I want either. But if you have not driven the DSG, give it a try if you can. It's a real performer and it is fun to drive. Not really like a traditional auto trany.

BTW the shark blue, if you have not seen it in person yet is much better than in photos!

good luck with your eternal wait. I think I may have a lead on an incoming shark blue 2dr manual here. :)
Its just that my 17 year old car probably wouldn't survive a 250 mile trip, the tires are nearly bald now (I thought they'd last before getting a new TDI). Plus there is no guarantee that after +250 miles and +4 hours driving the car would be quite what I want. Yes I have test driven the DSG in Golf, Jetta Sportwagen and Audi A3 and although its nice, I prefer shifting my own gears and pushing in the clutch pedal. And yes I have seen a Shark Blue (gasoline) Golf. Which is why I still continue to wait for what I want, I'll try to remain patient for a few more months [sigh].

·
Registered
135 Posts
Its just that my 17 year old car probably wouldn't survive a 250 mile trip, the tires are nearly bald now (I thought they'd last before getting a new TDI). Plus there is no guarantee that after +250 miles and +4 hours driving the car would be quite what I want. Yes I have test driven the DSG in Golf, Jetta Sportwagen and Audi A3 and although its nice, I prefer shifting my own gears and pushing in the clutch pedal. And yes I have seen a Shark Blue (gasoline) Golf. Which is why I still continue to wait for what I want, I'll try to remain patient for a few more months [sigh].
My lead paid off! I finally found an incoming and available 2dr Shark Blue TDI, made an offer and the dealership accepted it and then I gave them a $500 deposit to ensure the system notes SOLD. Technically it ended up being just a little under MSRP and this was for one of those second-sticker dealers but I added a few dealer installed items; window tint and the sport styling kit so they were willing to budge off their traditional $2K second sticker. It will be on US soil Feb 1st with an expected delivery date March 8th! I am so excited.

I may suggest you calling or better yet stopping in all dealerships in close proximity of your location and ask them if they have any incoming unsold units. That's how I found mine.

Keep your search up, give it positive thought and hopefully yours will show up very soon! Best of luck mate! :nana2:

1 - 20 of 42 Posts