VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking over the checklist of things to do and looking through the owner's manual and searching everywhere. At what mileage should I replace the turbo or oil chain? 2001 Beetle. I want to hold onto this thing for a long time.

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
I wouldn't spend money on big ticket repair items unless they were known to have a problem. The turbo and oil chain last a long time and while they do go bad, these often last the life of the car, beyond 200,000 miles. I've heard the oil chain does wear out and maybe this is where you heard this suggestion but unless you're already in there, I wouldn't. If it does fail then it can wipe out the area but unless you have the chance to inspect it (it's inside the oil pan), I wouldn't go to the trouble of inspecting it. The clutch system can also develop wear issues after high mileage but to replace some of the components requires transmission removal -again, way too much work for preventative maintenance.

Something like new suspension bushings and struts, regular engine maintenance, and regular cleaning is a better idea for enjoying a TDI long life. You shouldn't drive the car expecting the worst.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Follow the maintenance in your owner's manual. Drive more worry less. Fix a problem when it comes up. I would add a skid plate and maybe that's about it.

·
Registered
96 Posts
You can replace the timing belt with a long life one from the 2003 alh engine tdi. You have to replace all the rollers and pulleys, belt, and tensioner. That's the one thing that might change vs that checklist.

·
Registered
52 Posts
No, other than the owner's manual fix problems as they come up. There are some common issues like the bad MAFs and dried out fuel injector lines and vacuum lines that you should replace.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts