VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think my wheel bearing s bad, what does it feel like?
I have a vibration and noise at highway speeds and my tires were recently balanced.

·
Premium Member
107 Posts
Is it more of a noise or vibration? If it's a bad wheel bearing you should be able to feel or hear it with the windows down even at lower speeds.

One sure way to check is to jack up the car and wiggle the wheel you think is bad sideways and up-down. Play could indicate worn suspension parts and play up-down could indicate a really bad wheel bearing. Rotate the wheel - too much noise can indicate a bad wheel bearing.

Also try turning your car left-right by equal amounts and listen to see if the growling gets worse.

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
it is possible that your tires aren't balanced or they are out of round or flat spotted. If it is the tires or wheels, it would get worse the faster you go. first try the driving back and forth to load and unload the L and R sides. You didn't say what car this was for, if it's an mk3, you have tapered rear wheel bearings that can grind if overtightened or not regreased, if it's an mk4, you have sealed rear wheel bearings.

D

·
0 Posts
What car is this for? What wheel do you think has a bad wheel bearing?

Try making left and right and turns, it will put the weight front wheels and make a wheel bearing noise louder. The rear wheels also will get louder, but not as much. Don't turn too hard or else the tires will make noise too and you might get the noises confused

·
Premium Member
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
found it, took to my mechanic and he fixed it, was the front right side
i couldn't tell which side it was from becuase the sound was bouncing around, turned the car sharply from leftto right and the left turn was louder, so ti was the right bearing, thanx 4 the tips!

·
Premium Member
371 Posts
Try shaking the wheel left to right and up down, it should be tight.

of course, the wheel should be in the air

1 - 6 of 6 Posts