VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got an '04 jetta that i just bought (had some previous posts about it). I just installed the panzer plate today since it did not have a skid plate when i bought it. While reattaching the intercooler hose(seen in the picture) that i inadvertantly disconnected during the project and didnt find till i did a quick test drive, i saw this hose with wet oil on it (red circle/text) and im having trouble identifying it.
Also, the smaller hose (marked with green arrow and text) was pretty oily too, actually a rubber grommet(?), like the one at the end of the arrow but closer to the front of the car on the hose, released oil when squeezed....like a sponge.

I used to own a 6.5TD and have helped a friend do light work on his cummins so i'm used to a certain level of oil/soot with those. there are no leaks on the ground. are either of these things something i should be concerned about? possible causes? fix difficulty?

The pic is taken from the ground just forward and inside the pax wheel. intercooler hose marked for reference.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
The red one is the intercooler hose coming off the turbo. Not sure what the green one is, it could be some wiring or a vacuum line. Here is another picture with the intercooler hose loosened.

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, your right the red one is the lower inter cooler hose. I had a bad angle and didnt see it make the bend up then right so i thought they were seperate. I should have been able to figure that one out. I'm pretty sure the smaller one is not wiring, maybe an oil feed/return line? Is that oil shown on above pictures, or the oil pictured below on the exhaust manifold and other lines below the turbo, indicative of a leak that needs repairing? bad seals on the turbo or something else?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
Don't know what the smaller line is.

The oil could also be leaking from the valve cover,common problem. Don't overtighten the valve cover bolts, just snug them up lightly.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
had the valve cover gasket changed with the TB change. mechanic was on the trusted TDI mechanics list. Its not even 2 weeks since that was done, could it be oil from that, but no new residue has come out? If rain holds off tomorrow i'm planning on washing compartment.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts