VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi - I have a JSW 2011 without the sunroof. I just had the dealer install an RNS 315 nav unit. The dealer recommended against lowering the headliner to disconnect the compass since they felt it could mess up the look of the cieling. I have been driving around with both compasses connected for two days and what seems to be happening is the nav information in the center of the dash seems to lag behind and/or conflict with the information on the RNS 315 screen. I have two questions:
-- Does anyone know exactly what happens if you leave both compasses connected?
-- Does anyone know EXACTLY where the compass is in a 2011 JSW that does not have a sunroof and how you get at it to disconnect it?
Thanks again as always.

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
The car sees 2 compasses. I think the display conflict could be a result. Not 100% sure but it should be behind the rear headliner. You just have to remove a piece of trim and pull the headliner down slightly. You don't have to remove it, just unplug it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The car sees 2 compasses. I think the display conflict could be a result. Not 100% sure but it should be behind the rear headliner. You just have to remove a piece of trim and pull the headliner down slightly. You don't have to remove it, just unplug it.
Thanks very much! Also, the VW dealer was unable to find a proper code to connect the RNS 315 in this situation so I think he used one for an older version. Any idea how he finds the right code? Guess he should call VW Tech support???

Thanks again!

·
Registered
76 Posts
it makes the compass jumpy AND it makes the can bus very very active and slow. The radio will be slow, instruments are slow, switching anyhting in the MFD is slow.

The compass module is cake to remove, you dont need to code anything. It's on the can bus and just appears.

on the JSW it's just to the left of the sharkfin in the back, beside the dome light. Pull the back trim piece straight down hard. It has several metal clips, Dont do it at an angle or they will bend or break and they are a BITCH to get back into place.

One you have the trim piece all off. Pull the headliner down a bit just enough to get your hand in there and you'll see a small black box besides the light. Reach up there and unplug it and pull it out. It's velcroed in place. That's it you are done. Put it all back together. Be wary of those clips on that rear trim piece, they have to go in just right.

I'm in Vero, if you want to come up here, I'll do it for you and code your car with VCDS. It's super easy.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts