VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I swapped my '08 Rabbit for an '11 golf tdi. I used to be able to remove the passenger front headrest and flip the seatback all the way fwd. And you could place an 8 foot beam in that car and close the trunk (ingenious!!!). Now the pax-side seat has power recline, and I no longer think this is possible. Am I correct? :ugh

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
You used to be able to just pull them up by pressing the button on the base of one of the posts.

With the newer headrests, I believe it changed for 2010 because a 2009 owner reported being able to pull it out by pressing the button. To remove the 2010+ headrest, you have to push the seat cushion around the right post down a little to expose a slot. Stick a screwdriver in the slot while pressing the tab on the left to pull the headrest out.

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
Really, can't wiggle it out when pressing the button? Chitty, do you know why they changed it? Maybe to prevent tampering...

·
Registered
100 Posts
Jeez...I just checked on my '11 and he's right...at least, about the front head rests. No slot for a screw driver. They are NOT designed to be removed! The rear ones still are, but now they've made it excruciatingly difficult. The other day, I went to remove the rear center head rest on my car. Ho, mamma! It only goes up about 1/2 inch (if that) and then you have to fit a screw driver into a little slot on the inside of the round tab (and push in) on one post while pushing the round tab on the other post with your finger...all while lifting straight up with your third hand. It only took about eight tries...

You know, the Autobahn aside, Germany really is kind of a "nanny state". Their car (and bike) makers always seem to think they know what's best for their customers. They like to give us what they think we need, rather than what we want...JMHO

·
Super Moderator
9,408 Posts
Well I can only say what mine has, it has a button on the side of the head rest and you press it and the head rest slides right out.

The earlier ones had the clip on the base of the head rest. ;)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This must factor into the 'fewer parts' equation of golf vs rabbit. No more round button. The ring post tab only allows you to lower the headrest. Won't release the post for removal. --> cost-cutting measure I'm sure...

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
And equally important, the quick release lever that let you flip the seatback forward and horizontal is no longer :(

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You have a 5 door right?. The 3 doors have the lever.

Yeah, 5-dr in both cases. But the rabbit pax seat had a different mechanical geometry for the seatback, and the quick release lever was different than the 3-door, closer to the mechanical recline dial. I actually think this is a consequence of the gti/tdi sport seats(!!). I wonder if the gas model 5-door golf has the same pax seat as the rabbit. Hm...

·
Registered
100 Posts
Well I can only say what mine has, it has a button on the side of the head rest and you press it and the head rest slides right out.

The earlier ones had the clip on the base of the head rest. ;)
The only button-on-the-headrest that came with my '11 U.S. Golf is in the owner's manual...just one of hundreds of errors I've found in the manual in the five days that I've had my car. U.S. owners: are these manuals pure sh*t, or what? I had thought the manuals for my '04 R32 were not very good (I was right), but these...these make those look like Webster's Dictionary. VW has a long way to go in this country if they plan on catching Toyota (or GM, or even Chrysler for that matter) any time soon. The one, useful thing I did find in the manual: it says for best fuel economy you should eliminate all dead weight from your car. As a result, my manual package is now in the bedroom closet.

Sorry about the off-topic rant...:eek:

·
Registered
91 Posts
The only button-on-the-headrest that came with my '11 U.S. Golf is in the owner's manual...just one of hundreds of errors I've found in the manual in the five days that I've had my car. U.S. owners: are these manuals pure sh*t, or what? I had thought the manuals for my '04 R32 were not very good (I was right), but these...these make those look like Webster's Dictionary. VW has a long way to go in this country if they plan on catching Toyota (or GM, or even Chrysler for that matter) any time soon. The one, useful thing I did find in the manual: it says for best fuel economy you should eliminate all dead weight from your car. As a result, my manual package is now in the bedroom closet.

Sorry about the off-topic rant...:eek:
LOL:pukerofl

1 - 11 of 11 Posts