VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys/gals.

I bought my first computer in 1982 it was a BBC Model B which started me of with programming in BBC Basic. In 1992 I bought an IBM compatible computer and in 1996 I acquired Visual Basic 4.0 and have been using VB ever since not 4.0 I bought 5.0 and 6.0 since. I do have VB.Net 2008 and 2010 but I don't like them. I did buy VC++ 1.52 first but it was very hard to get used to as Basic is simple like me. In 1995 I bought a newer one with more speed, memory and CD writer. I've been saying for years I need a newer faster computer so last year I bought one "Ultima Warlord" AMD Phenom II X4 Quad Core 955 Black Edition 3.20GHz @ 3.80GHz DDR3 System no longer available. I've tried all Windows operating systems Win3.1/Win95/98SE/ME/2K/XP/Vista/Win7 and I still say Win98SE is the best.

Last year one of the guys at work had a Fujitsu-Siemens AMILO Li1818 laptop with Vista 32bit and he was having trouble connecting WiFi. I said I would give it a try and if it works ok I would give him £50 and risk being bitten. He paid £460 fit it 3 years earlier its quite good.

Ok so I use it for programming. I use MS Office 2003, I have Office 2007 but I don't like it. I love playing games which are generally racing games, car, bike and truck. I love shootem up games of which I have loads, I also like simulators.

I've downloaded 194 games, 242 films, 170 apps, 49 auto apps, 204 ebooks, 23 full music discographies in the past year.

If you like racing then you can download legally GTI Racing Demo. Its not fantastic graphics by todays standards but you can race old VW's even if they are petrol. There are videos on YouTube so you can see if it worth downloading. This is the demo version but its playable I downloaded the full version.

Oh I forgot to mension I love surfing. I'm in 55 different forums mainly VB and VW. One site I use a lot for all sorts of up to date apps is http://www.filehippo.com/ which I presume you all use?

Thanks for reading my boring computer and applications history. ;)

·
Premium Member
5,942 Posts
Hi Keith, I use mine for Surfing, playing games, watching films in surround sound and music. I'm currently running an [email protected] 2.6Ghz with 2x2Gb of OCZ Platinum pc2 8500, Nvidia 260GTX, Creative X-Fi extreme music, Emu 404, 650watt modular power supply, Abit quad gt mb all in a Xigmatek Utgard case and running windows 7 ultimate.
Just finished replaying Gears of War and away to reinstall Assassins Creed 2.:)

·
Super Moderator
9,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes I downloaded Assassins Creed and Assassins Creed 2 I don't particulary like that type of shootem up as there are no big guns and there's to much jumping and rolling. A friend of mind has it or the XBOX 360 and he's finished it and loves it.

Its like the new Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light its not the convensional Tomb Raider type of game which I have all of them. You control a small Lara from a distance. Now I haven't seen that for sale anywhere but my friend downloaded the demo from XBOX 360 Live. You can download the full version but it so many XBOX LIVE credits.

I won't bore with my list of games. ;)

·
Premium Member
5,942 Posts
It's not my usual taste but I was suprised at how much I enjoyed it. The poison blade was a good laugh.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFrHbDz-7fM

I'm not so keen on the lara croft/tomb raider games. I've enjoyed all the splinter cells except Conviction, all the Calls of duty, Far crys, Stalker, Ghost Recon AW 1+2, Rainbow 6V 1+2 and a bit of Grid. I don't like X-Box because I much prefer keyboard and mouse.(I'm pants with the contoller):)

·
Super Moderator
9,224 Posts
Yes I'm not a big Tomb Raider fan as its close to Assassins Creed where you have to grab the rope correctly and swing or grab a ledge if you miss you're normally dead and have to start again. I'm the same as you I like the keyboard and mouse controls. I could buy an XBOX with loads of games no problem but they are purely games machines and nothing else, thats why a computer is best for both worlds.

Actually I like to cheat. I find the cheat for the game of the web that makes you god with all weapons and ammo and just blast your way around. Until you get used to the layout and levels then I can turn it off.

I've got a WII but I haven't used it for months. I bought Ferrari Challenge new of eBay for the WII that not a bad game and the control is very easy. You just twist the hand control to steer and 2 buttons to accelerate and brake.

So you're all shootem up no racing? Can't say that I've heard of bit of Grid? ;)

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
One game I really like is Empire total war. It's a real time strategy game that takes place around 1700. You build cities, collect taxes and trade, and build armies in turn based map mode. When armies or navies come up to each other it turns into real time mode.

The goal in each battle isn't to kill every enemy unit, it's to drive them from the field or surrender. The action has much greater strategy than starcraft where every unit fights until their hit points are gone and where a lot of strong units will just kill the weak units. One example of strategy is to use infantry to occupy a formation of pikemen and then set up a cavalry charge from the rear. If you just use cavalry (strong unit) in a direct attack against pikemen or line infantry with fixed bayonets they'll get slaughtered. You have to arrange your line infantry well or else the back rows will shoot the guys in the front.

·
Super Moderator
9,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've never heard of Empire total war I've Googled it and YouTube shows lots of gameplay examples mainly battles its a bit like Command & Conquer but 100 years previous. I remember playing a similar board game at College 37 years ago but I can't remember the name. ;)

Empire Total War Gameplay HD

·
Premium Member
5,942 Posts
So, it looks like it's just the three of us who use computers lol. I think everyone else is on their iphone.:D

·
Super Moderator
9,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Oh I thought I was missing out on something after being on forums for 10 years or more? ;)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts