VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw another thread where someone put vw gti r32 front brakes on their car, what about other brake swaps? How do they compare?

Any negatives? How much is stopping improved?

D

·
0 Posts
The R32 are probably the biggest brake upgrade. The Audi TT brake is also directly bolt on. They are probably your best choice because they are direct bolt ons, easy to find parts, and are more than enough, but you have to change the wheel hub.

The negatives are that you must use at least 17" wheels, I don't know the exact inside wheel clearance but I'm sure that some 17" wheels will not clear the brakes. I think almost all 18" wheels would clear.

Other negatives are that you will have to use low profile tires, the whole tire/wheel combo will be heavy, and initial cost. This will lower mileage. It also would be best to upgrade the rear rotors to keep it balanced.

Other options are the 1.8T or vr6 brakes but if you're going to do all that work, why not go all out?

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
I need to edit the existing article since still in the works.

Basically, the TDI and 2.0 engine have the small wheel hub and spindle. You need to use the 1.8T or vr6 spindle (steering knuckle) and then you can bolt on audi tt carriers with larger rotors, or use the r32 brakes.

·
Registered
136 Posts
The Audi TT brake carrier and rotor are bolt on for the 1.8T and vr6 but not for the TDI, the control arm is also different.

D

·
0 Posts
The R32 is also probably overkill, the cars weigh 3300 lbs? That's way heavier than a TDI.

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
The Audi TT brake carrier and rotor are bolt on for the 1.8T and vr6 but not for the TDI, the control arm is also different.
The brake carrier and rotor are bolt on but other parts of the Audi TT/R32 suspension are not directly bolt on. You have to change parts in groups or modify them to fit, I will address this in the updated brake upgrade chart.

·
Registered
77 Posts
The negatives are that your fuel economy/handling will go down with all that unsprung weight.

The positives are that your stopping will be better, I think BBKs look better, they last longer, and peace of mind.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It sounds like it's too much work, I think I will try brake pads first. I've looked through the vortex for some used ones, hard to find at a good price.

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
Okay, I have updated the brake page big time.

See here: http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q_how_to/a4/BBupgrade.htm

Many,many bolt on kits. Why you need 14.5" brakes, I have no idea but it's there. Maybe if you had R compound tires and needed such a large heat sink...Small brakes with more aggressive pads normally do the job, larger brake rotors are best if your current brakes are overheating.

It's organized by OEM sizes/replacements.

Then aftermarket front kits,

Then aftermarket rear kits. Direct links to vendors so you can see their prices and more details are included.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I checked some of the prices, $3000 and new wheels! I think getting a summer tire and a winter tire will help a lot right?

D

·
0 Posts
Yes, summer/winter tires will help you grip better in their respective seasons.

Those prices aren't too bad. $600 will get you more brake than you will use. $2000 for the Porshce Cayenne brake kit is a deal considering it comes with all that hardware and extras. And they had to make the adapters and custom rotor hats.

The optional brakes on a Ferrari cost over $10,000. A rotor/pad job alone on the new skyline GTR is $3500 when converted from Yen to US dollars.

D

·
0 Posts
1. Dealer
2. 14"+ rotors, probably 2 piece = $$$
3. 6 caliper pistons in the front , 4 caliper in rear, maybe have smaller brake pad segments like the corvette = $$$

1 - 13 of 13 Posts