VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

61 - 62 of 62 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,975 Posts
I am driving it this week during the break-in period. Vag-com on order so I can set cam timing more precisely
VAG-COM is the old cable VCDS is one of the newer cables so where have you ordered it from? Is that a genuine VAG-COM or a cheap Chinese cloned cable of fleabay?

Good forums won't answer questions about those cables.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Well I wanted to report back. My magnetic plug that caught a piece of lifter, must have been from a previous cam failure. I had bought this car used with 176,000 miles and no history. The loss of torq must have been in my head after seeing the broken piece, LOL. Did the job last weekend. I did find that the lower bearings was worn into the copper portion, rest of lifters & cam looked ok, but did have some wear at the peek of the lobes. It all got replaced, because I ordered all the parts ahead of time plus I was there. I'm still planing on dropping pan and check out the bottom end, then I'll know it will be good to go, for a long while. No rust on car, so I'm willing to spend some money on parts to keep it on the road for my personal use and to keep from spending a lot for a different vehicle. I'm just thankful for MTD web site and the great people here to share what they know about them, and to educate people like me about these cars, so that I can do the work myself. I am a heavy equipment mechanic full time, so that helps too. But all machines wether it be a car, truck, dozer or what ever, can have little quirks to them. So it sure helps to have a heads up, as to what's going on with them so that one can have success at doing a good repair.

61 - 62 of 62 Posts