VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

41 - 60 of 62 Posts

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Car is running well and it is like having an old friend back. I parked it a year ago when my commute to work got short and the Indy wanted $4500 for the cam, clutch and egr cooler. I am driving a different car now but gave the TDI to my kid.
I am driving it this week during the break-in period. Vag-com on order so I can set cam timing more precisely.

·
Premium Member
118 Posts
I replaced my cam with an Estas from made in Turkey. Very inexpensive came with black lifters now has 23,000 miles on it. My original using 5 w 30 for the first 60,000 then switching over to Pentosin 5w 40 made it to 137,000 miles. Still runs strong with the Estas and getting 50 mpg. Did not use VCDS to set timing. Just timing lock tool. I now have VCDS but haven[t messed with the timing. Don'y want to lose my gas milage by changing anything

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Edit Update - (Per VCDS Torsion value was at -.05 - loosened bolts and set at 0.0)

When I did my cam I loosened the 3 cam bolts to make it easier to get the belt on. I did spray paint the gear so the gear is close to its original position. If I get 50 mpg like donutman I won't touch it either! But good excuse to get vcds.

After seemingly endless hours internet research and with conflicting results and information My choice of cam and bearings became simple. Yes I probably would have bought the Kerma/colt if it was available ( OP used the colt ) but I am very happy at this point with my Klobensomething cam. - The colt was not available for quite some time so I got a cheaper one that came in a very complete kit. My bearings with 175k were not too bad and I saw some mixed results with modified bearing - so I saw no need to modify. Colt does not promote modified bearings. If I tried anything it would have been an overhead oiler or something.

For 100k or so I can worry about things that need to be fixed soon - like the EGR cooler or the Flywheel and clutch. Or I can look forward things like the turbo going out or this latest class action lawsuit for driver's door wiring harness issues that my car may have.

Bottom line I feel the cam will last 100-150k more as is. I would love for this to be the last cam ever needed like Colt advertises but we need a good running TDI now. Who knows - 100k miles more could be enough to be the last cam we ever need for this car.

Also after doing the cam change I will say it is not too much harder than changing just the belt.

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Got mine done yesterday with the stock replacement cam temporarily until the Colt cam comes in. Glad to have it back. All 4 exhaust lobes were badly worn and #3 exhaust lifter was worn through. All lifters were the silver ones and all were dished out. I'm anxious to see what the fuel mileage improves to from being at 35 mpg before the repair. I also installed the new turbo yesterday and blocked the egr. The car runs so much better than it ever has since I've owned it. Next up is exhaust and gauges.

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
Got mine done yesterday with the stock replacement cam temporarily until the Colt cam comes in. Glad to have it back. All 4 exhaust lobes were badly worn and #3 exhaust lifter was worn through. All lifters were the silver ones and all were dished out. I'm anxious to see what the fuel mileage improves to from being at 35 mpg before the repair. I also installed the new turbo yesterday and blocked the egr. The car runs so much better than it ever has since I've owned it. Next up is exhaust and gauges.
Would love to see pics of the old cam and lifters!!

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Here are a couple of pics of the cam that came out of my car. Close up of the worst lobe which was on cylinder 3. The dark spots are just from where it dried after coming out of the hot tank.
1412620898864.jpg
1412621002341.jpg

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
Here are a couple of pics of the cam that came out of my car. Close up of the worst lobe which was on cylinder 3. The dark spots are just from where it dried after coming out of the hot tank. View attachment 3933 View attachment 3934
That looks aweful!!
Mine is comming out this weekend 186K + miles... Hope mine doesn't look as bad, Wish me luck!!

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
Well, not so lucky... #2 exhaust lifter is gone! Looks like #1 is gone as well but can't get a good photo with the cam still installed.
image.jpg

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
Here is the cam and lifters removed. The #1 Exhaust lobe and lifter still look factory new! Heck, the lifter still has black on the face and lobe still has a chamfer on the peak. In contrast, #4 was the worse with over .10 of an inch of metal ground off. Curiously, the injector lobes have gouges as if "chunks" of hardened metal had broken off the valve lobe and fallen on the injector lobe and ground in. This is present on three of the four injector lobes... (*Update* the injector lobe gouges are from the excessively worn lifter edges grinding on the injector lobes.) Oh and the HEPU waterpump is leaking from the weep hole, just replaced it with timing belt and its defective.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
Water pump
Wow, that's way worse than mine was. I couldn't drive mine with only one lifter worn through. Were you able to still drive this car?
Yes, pulled into the garage Thursday night after work and tore it down yesterday. It lacked power, took forever for the turbo to spool and original 47-52 highway miles went to 37-42. Clean and Reassembly today... Hope to start her up tonight or tomorow, all depends on the new waterpump.

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
image.jpg image.jpg HEPU waterpump failure less than 10k miles. Coolant was flushed. This is internal seal failure, early stage.

·
Premium Member
52 Posts
Donutman, can you hook the VCDS to your car and maybe tell us what torsioon value do you have? I am getting between 42 and 44 miles at this time driving between 60 and 70...I am pretty happy with the mileage and the way the car is running, but I would gladly compare with your numbers and maybe try something different if it would give me a hint to 50 miles per galon...Thank you!

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
Ok so got über excited and forgot to take pictures of the reinstall. The waterpump came in as well. So during one of my breaks, I put a lifter against the cam and discovered the gouges on the injector lobe were not from a chunk of metal, well unless you dismiss the adjacent lifter as a chunk of metal. Yes, the lifter wore so much that it began to eat away at the injector lobe. There was not enough valve lobe remaining to keep the edges of the lifter from contacting the injector lobe. This is present in three of four injector lobes. As far as the water pump leak. Upon closer inspection, there is coolant build up in the weep hole. However, it's not coming from the seal vent but from the freeze plug not installed deep enough. It was leaking from the gap created in the weep hole. Compared to the new pump, it's freeze plug looks to be inserted 1.5mm to 2mm. The leaking water pump freeze plug is flush. Coincidence? I think not.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Add me to the camshaft club. Just did a oil change and I had previously installed a magnetic plug thinking that it might give me some warning of what ever might lurk in side. Sure enough it has, didn't have much fines on it, but it had one big piece of cam follower stuck to it. I'm positive it's a center piece of one. Amazing that the engine still runs pretty good considering what's going on inside. But I have noticed some torq loss.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I'm starting to think this year model of TDI car was made for mechanical minded and the parts house people. This web site has definitely been a blessing for us that own them. I'm going to do the cam and drop pan to do oil pump & bearings too. It's starting to make me feel all warm and fuzzy inside, as I'm getting a new car, just one piece at a time.

41 - 60 of 62 Posts