VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

21 - 40 of 62 Posts

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
I recently experienced the cam/lifter failure bad enough I had to stop driving the car. Parked it for a couple of weeks while I decided what to do with it. After a lot of research and reading on here, talking to my local VW dealer and talking with the folks at KermaTDI, I just ordered the Colt Stage 2 cam with deluxe installation kit, the horsepower kit yesterday from KermaTDI and I'm installing a new dual mass flywheel at the same time. As mentioned above, the cam won't even be available until September, but I can't wait to get started on it and get my car back on the road!!!

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
Man, the way forward for your TDI seems nice. All the KermaTDI goodies, yeah bring money. From a timing perspective, if we had the luxury of waiting the Colt II cam would have been the first choice. Oh, well. Our 1.9 Pumpe Duse TDI will require the timing belt service in 25k miles or so, a new turbo charger/actuator and the EGR/cooler is scheduled as well. Plenty of service ahead at the proposed 175K-180K mile threshold. Who said VW TDI's were economical ??

Our pre-ordered MY06 Jetta came off the delivery truck with 11 miles and now with 150K miles in 8 years or so there is plenty of life left. We're not done with this under the radar, fully optioned VW just yet. A couple of months ago the Michelin Pilot Super Sports in the OE size 225/45/17 were fitted to GTI alloys...... Man what a performance upgrade! Drives better, brakes waaay better, excellent rain tire and an ultra quiet tire! Nope, we're not done with the Jetta as a daily driver.

Hey, To-each-his-own $$

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
I priced locally at the VW dealer, (I get jobber cost), I priced other online places and I priced KermaTDI. Kerma was able to get me everything I needed, saved me a few hundred dollars on what it would have cost from VW for factory parts, and I will have upgraded parts that I won't have to worry about!! Yes, it was a LOT of money, but I think it was certainly the right way to go!! I even got the VAG-COM cable for VCDS and was still cheaper than the dealer was just for the major parts. I am lucky that I have another vehicle to drive in the meantime, or waiting until the cam came in wouldn't have worked for me. Can't wait to get the car done though because driving my one ton crew cab 4x4 dually is killing me in fuel!! 14 MPG on its best day...

·
Premium Member
47 Posts
Guys--

Kerma is offering the standard oem cam at a discount and offering free shipping if you need to do the cam NOW. I do...car is missing bad, I stopped driving it.

Once the Colt cam comes in they will ship it for free with another set of torque to yield bolts.

I want a stage 2 but I need to repair the car now.

By the way..226k miles on original cam here.

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Was your mileage suffering before the failure? Symptoms before the missing?
My mileage was about 35 MPG on average before the cam failure and the backfiring through the intake. The DMF has been rattling since I bought the car, but has always seemed to drive ok, other than trying to back up a hill or back up in the yard or soft ground. My turbo was leaking oil into the exhaust and into the cold air tube as well. The car has always driven ok, but has had the typical turbo lag issue that the zip tie cure might have fixed, I just never took the time to do it. I'm sure the EGR system needs cleaned as well and will take care of that once I dig into it.

Guys--

Kerma is offering the standard oem cam at a discount and offering free shipping if you need to do the cam NOW. I do...car is missing bad, I stopped driving it.

Once the Colt cam comes in they will ship it for free with another set of torque to yield bolts.

Yes, Kerma offered that to me as well, but I have another vehicle to drive in the meantime and didn't want to spend the extra money.

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Guys--

Second option: you can use franko6 camshaft replacement kit offer by bora-parts (in stock, I didn't want to wait too long for cam), google franko6 camshaft replacement kit for more info- it also stage II cam just break in procedure its different regarding break in oil and oil replacement 500m,2500m warranty included.I got complete kit installed -love it

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
A significant drop in fuel mileage has to be in anyone's Top 10 list of engine performance symptoms as the BRMs cam goes kaputt.

Our TDI ran fine, good to ok not good to great, however it was the fuel mileage that suffered. From a long view .. starting at 110,000 miles or so, the per full tank (13 gal or more) MPG started a descend from a "our" normal of 37-38 mpg (local city/hwy combo) to mid 35/36mpg. The 35/36mpg per tank of fuel stayed at this range for about 25k miles and when on a solid road trip the overall MPG would bump up slightly by a mere +2 mpg.

It was during the last 2,000 to 3,500 miles (95% @ hwy 70mph constants) just before the cam failed (sidelining the Jetta) that the mpg dropped to 30/31 mpg. Otherwise the TDI ran OK out on the hwy...
Every gallon of fuel burned since the vehicle's delivery has been accounted. Delivery showed 9 miles IIRC.

Was your mileage suffering before the failure? Symptoms before the missing?

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
So here is my two cents. Did the TB replacement and ran some testing to discover I would be in the market for a BRM camshaft (loud thud thud thud coming from turbo inlet at idle). Clocking over 180k miles with VAG "Volkswagen Auto Group" recommended oil (Castrol Import 5w-40 meets VW SPEC 505.01 and now VAG has approved
several 5w-40 oils on the market that meets that spec as well.)(http://www.myturbodiesel.com/images/pdf/vwoiltsb.pdf)
Note: if the oil has a larger number, it supersedes (replaces) the previous specification (VW SPEC 506.01 (5w-30), for example, replaced all previous specs). A lower number, 505.00 for example, does not meet minimum specs of 505.01. So what does all this mean? Well oil manufactures have to comply with the auto makers minimum specification of additives (zinc, detergents, phosphorus, etc) to meet their specs. When the auto makers discover a mixture that the engineers believe works better, a new spec is created VW 507.00 (5w-30). This new spec is considered "safe" for all models that used an older spec. However, a new oil does not change the recommended service life that VAG has placed on your model and/ or engine. (The owners manual says change oil at 5000 miles and you put 10000 mile oil in it, you change it at 5000 miles).
That said I have religiously changed my oil to a VW 505.01 spec oil. The cam is shot. Colt (Stage 2 for BRM) has identified key failures in both metallurgy and design (as described at the Kerma web page). They are lob ramp to aggressive and lob and lifter hardening is limited to "face hardening". What does that mean? The lifter is forced to push the valve from closed to open very quickly (aggressive lob ramp). That, combined with face harding (only the micro surface has been heat treated to increase wear resistance) of the cam lob and lifter create finite life... I have read cams failing as early as 60k. I am at over 180k. I discovered the cam was bad at timing belt replacement, around 166k (new belt installed at 66k when improper dealer installed idler stud failed...long story and $2k later). Colt has addressed those shortfalls, and has provides a healthy warranty when you buy their install kit.
Cost savings for a regrind, OEM? YES.
Reoccurring cam failure repaired? To be determined. I have not seen a post that say says I replaced my cam with a new OEM or regrind and rolled 300k miles today!!
If your going to keep it, it's an investment, invest like your going to keep it. Otherwise you are going to dump $699 into it and sell it at a loss.
Just my two cents, it's worth just that.

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
If your going to keep it, it's an investment, invest like your going to keep it. Otherwise you are going to dump $699 into it and sell it at a loss.
Just my two cents, it's worth just that.
I really like my tdi but this car is not an investment. No matter what if I sell it it will be at a loss. It is a transportation car with 175k on it and a bad cam. Here is what is available to me (kits with bolts and bearings)
Autohausaz - Febi 214.36 cam only + 105 for timing (no bearing or bolt kit)
Idparts - AMC cam made in Spain 649.99(kit) +199.95 for the timing kit=850
Bora Parts 639.99 kit (estes?) =================== =640+ timing belt
Kerma/colt 699 (stage 2 cam only) plus 426 for kit or 700 for delux kit =1400
Frank06 stage 2 995 kit plus 168 for chrome plating? =1170 +timing belt

These threads go on forever and always go on tangents from 505 oil to flaming between vendors. from what I have read the colt looks best - maybe the only one with a parkerizing for break in and nitrided.

Like a1979corvette the fix is to be determined. If I stick a stock cam in and the car gives 42mpg for 175k more I will be happy. (Always got 38-43 until it dropped to 33mpg) I read somewhere else that you could do two stock cams for the price of one kerma or franks.
I am leaning toward stock with a 100k timing belt and cam job if this crate goes another 100k!

It looks like the colt and febi are on backorder

Any thoughts on the AMC, Febi or Estes?

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
I really like my tdi but this car is not an investment. No matter what if I sell it it will be at a loss. It is a transportation car with 175k on it and a bad cam. Here is what is available to me (kits with bolts and bearings)
Autohausaz - Febi 214.36 cam only + 105 for timing (no bearing or bolt kit)
Idparts - AMC cam made in Spain 649.99(kit) +199.95 for the timing kit=850
Bora Parts 639.99 kit (estes?) =================== =640+ timing belt
Kerma/colt 699 (stage 2 cam only) plus 426 for kit or 700 for delux kit =1400
Frank06 stage 2 995 kit plus 168 for chrome plating? =1170 +timing belt

These threads go on forever and always go on tangents from 505 oil to flaming between vendors. from what I have read the colt looks best - maybe the only one with a parkerizing for break in and nitrided.

Like a1979corvette the fix is to be determined. If I stick a stock cam in and the car gives 42mpg for 175k more I will be happy. (Always got 38-43 until it dropped to 33mpg) I read somewhere else that you could do two stock cams for the price of one kerma or franks.
I am leaning toward stock with a 100k timing belt and cam job if this crate goes another 100k!

It looks like the colt and febi are on backorder

Any thoughts on the AMC, Febi or Estes?
I personally don't have experience with those manufactures. What I do know is the camshaft originally installed is not going to last longer than the engine. I would assess that any other cam, not a regrind OEM, would/should last longer than the next scheduled TB replacement interval or two.
Good luck!

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
These threads go on forever and always go on tangents from 505 oil to flaming between vendors.

I read somewhere else that you could do two stock cams for the price of one kerma or franks.

Right. With all due respect, it seems here nobody is addressing the first and principal problem. Poor design and thus poor lubrication of cam lobes and lifters, as explained by Mr Frank06 on the TDI canadian forum.

So even the cam and lifters made of the best material and procedures, whatever brand that is, are going into this same poor environment.

Please Google that thread, he explains the whole issue and solution very clearly.
It makes sense. Not that I agree with every word he writes. I did not want to go with the Joe Crap breaking products. But the lubrication issues and solution makes sense to me.

So I installed the package sold at Metalmanparts (Estes cam + bearings + black lifters + YTT bolts) after modifying the bearings and lubrication channels according to his advice.

100 000 miles later all is fine, but I'm yet to change my timing belt again.

·
Premium Member
105 Posts
Can you explain your basis for the Joe Crap breaking in comment? I ask because im debating on the best break in procedure.

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
So I installed the package sold at Metalmanparts (Estes cam + bearings + black lifters + YTT bolts) after modifying the bearings and lubrication channels according to his advice.

100 000 miles later all is fine, but I'm yet to change my timing belt again.
Thanks, I will look into the estes.

Just got off the phone with Kerma today. 6-8 weeks for the colt stage two because a " machine broke in Germany" they will have a stage two cam available in 2-3 week for about $150 less - with the same warranty but without the same hardness.

The Febi at AutohauzAZ is on backorder - I sent an e-mail.

Good to hear your cam is at 100k without issue - so was my stocker at 89k when the belt was done.

Paul

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
Can you explain your basis for the Joe Crap breaking in comment? I ask because im debating on the best break in procedure.
His is the best procedure, I think. It's just too expensive. I really wanted to buy from him, the package contains cam, modified bearings, bolts, oils, etc. But like someone above wrote, you can get two regulars for the same price.
Go to the thread please and see the whole procedure.
Otherwise, Mr Chitty wrote a good article on this site.

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Called Marquette AKA metalmanparts - The website said the kit comes with "OEM ESTAS, FEBI/BILSTEIN, KOLBENSCHMIDT or AMC camshaft"
Right now they only have the AMC or Kolbenschmidt

I think Bora has the Estes -

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Kolbenschmidt is here - Got the old cam out and it is torn up. Ridiculous deep grooves in the center of the fuel injector lobes. All exhaust lifters dished with #2 and 4 worn through (none of the lifters are black coated). Cam bearings are not that bad with the exception of some copper showing on #1 and 2 lower shells - just going to put the stock bearings with no mods in and go for it.

Note. I had to remove the timing gear from the cam in order to rotate it 90 so the fuel pump slot would let it out. I just used my old gear puller with 3 slots and used the old bolts from the rocker arms.

·
Premium Member
52 Posts
I will start buying parts for this task soon...My engine still runs good but like everyone else, sooner or later the need of the new cam will be obvious...I will probably go for the Kolbenschmidt, but not sure what bolts should I use: stretching or non stretching? Why one would be better than other one? If I am not mistaking the torque values are different between the two...but other than that, I am not sure why get one vs the other.

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
not sure what bolts should I use: stretching or non stretching? Why one would be better than other one? If I am not mistaking the torque values are different between the two...but other than that, I am not sure why get one vs the other.
My $850.00 kit from metalmanparts came with stretch bolts. I they are oem VW part numbers 038 103 714 and 038 103 714 A. I don't know why one would be better than the other but it came with YTT bolts

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
Just commited to Colt Stage II and nitride lifters (followers). The motor bracket will be replaced because the Stealership ruined the 18mm mount holes. Will be taking this spendy task on shortly!!

21 - 40 of 62 Posts