VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been doing some reading on the cam issue for my 2006 jetta. and with so many options out there to buy cams and cam-kits its hard to pick one. what cam do you think is the best bang for your buck?

and one more question: do you need the vag-com software or is it just nice to do the cam swap?

thanks!

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
To do cam swap, VCDS is not required. It helps prime the fuel system but not required, just makes it easier. It's required to check and fine tune cam timing.

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks! I am planning on doing the timing belt and cam soon. just deciding on what cam kit to buy. any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
Kerma TDI sells the excellent Colt Stage 2. More pricey than stock cam but of much better quality. IMO worth the $

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Just installed Colt stage 2 cam. My opinion is. The kit is worth the cash. I get better throttle response it seems, also MPG went up, and the relief this cam will last.

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Old cam looked good. Shell T6 5W40 and Mobile were used since 30,000 miles. Things that make you say hmmmm. C AND C music factory!

·
Premium Member
52 Posts
I would be curious to know how is the Colt cam in the long run...Is there anybody that has the cam for a lot of miles? I am trying to weight replacing the cams now or later...I tend to like the Colt cams as well and would love to get them. Also, I wonder if the 500k warranty is coming from the manufacturer or Kerma TDI? It would also be nice if the warranty would be the same without the need to buy the install kit...

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I bought the colt stage 2 cam, ordered the rental tools from Chitty, and now i have to become a premium member to figure out how to do this job. thats easy though:) I'm planning to do the timing belt and cam this next weekend. wish me luck. thanks everyone. i will post pictures and my results. and possible questions later.

·
Premium Member
105 Posts
Im not sure that the combination of better/harder metals and using a 5-40 oil wouldnt make an OEM replacement cam last just as long as something else. If you do the work yourself you could do 2 cams for the price of one of these premium cams and you may not even need to. Has anyone worn out a replacement cam while using the proper (5-40) oil?

·
Premium Member
248 Posts
To do cam swap, VCDS is not required. It helps prime the fuel system but not required, just makes it easier. It's required to check and fine tune cam timing.
I disagree. To get the timing in the "right" position for each individual engine you'll need VCDS or a scan tool. You can use the locking tools to get you at about TDC. That isn't right for every engine.

·
Premium Member
248 Posts
Im not sure that the combination of better/harder metals and using a 5-40 oil wouldnt make an OEM replacement cam last just as long as something else. If you do the work yourself you could do 2 cams for the price of one of these premium cams and you may not even need to. Has anyone worn out a replacement cam while using the proper (5-40) oil?
I believe there have been reports of people running 5w-40 the engine's entire life and still experiencing the issue.

·
Premium Member
105 Posts
I don't doubt that at all but I wish we knew at what mileage vs. 5-30 to see if there is any difference. Also what about aftermarket OEM design cams?

·
Premium Member
248 Posts
I don't doubt that at all but I wish we knew at what mileage vs. 5-30 to see if there is any difference. Also what about aftermarket OEM design cams?
The problem isn't only the cam. The lifters and the cam eat each other. Changing to the proper black lifters and a replacement cam seems to resolve/greatly prolong the issue.

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
I believe there have been reports of people running 5w-40 the engine's entire life and still experiencing the issue.
Our TDI which was ordered new ran its initial 10k miles with the OE oil fill type 10w-30 Castrol 505.01 spec. There were three oil changes during the initial 10K miles; 1st @ 1,500mi, 2nd @5kmi and the 3rd at say 10K miles. The 4th oil/filter service was @17,500 with Pentosin 5w-40 and every 7,500mi there after with Pentosin 5w-40 coupled with a Mahle or OE oil filter. To date the TDI is at 143,000 miles and running strong. When the cams/lifters, etc., become a source of poor engine output there replacement will be immediate. Colt Cams (the Co has been around for decades) or the OE German/Hungary manufacturer? I dunno,,, isn't Germany well known for metallurgy ? Yes it is.

If I recall VWAG developed the Pumpe Duse injection scheme with the idea of owning their small diesel engines timing/injection circuit with the accompanied $ savings; I.E. used in a great many vehicles such as the Polo, Golf to name two. Screw Bosch's piezo injector.

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
To give an update and to put my 2 cents in.

New cam is in and ready to go. I haven't finished the timing belt to start the motor to break in the cam yet. so i will find out when i get more parts to put the timing belt back together. why do i need more parts? the timing belt went on great and all i needed to put on was the roller/idler pulley. well i noticed that the stud coming from the engine block that the roller/idler pulley goes on looked stressed/uneven. yep! broke the stud off when trying to torque the nut on. no big deal just put a vice grip on it and unscrewed it. now waiting for a new stud.

on the other subject of oil type:

I dont believe oil type has anything to do with the cam wear. I knew the people who i bought the car from and they put 10w-40 its whole life and at 160,000 miles the cam is shot, lifters has holes in them, bearings are worn, etc. I will post pictures and more details later. its just poor materials or bad design.

thanks to this website for the info to do this job myself.

·
Premium Member
52 Posts
Does anybody have any experience with the Febi Bilstein camshafts? I see them available in a few places and are somehow not too expensive...Does anybody know if they are any good?

·
Premium Member
76 Posts
Does anybody have any experience with the Febi Bilstein camshafts? I see them available in a few places and are somehow not too expensive...Does anybody know if they are any good?
I just put one in my car this month. Very pleased with the cam. I will be posting pictures this week of the old cam and new cam side by side.

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
Only recently and out-of-the-blue the TDI's cam/lifters etc. were changed out and I believe a Febi Bilstein replacement cam was used.
While the good folks at KermaTDI the NA source of premium BRM cams are in here in Vail - the Colt units continue to be backordered until September '14. Regardless, the Golden, CO TDI guru shop Diesel-land handled the work, thankfully on short notice.

The worn cam/lifter symptoms were all there at 149,000 miles - largely the fuel mileage was dropping fast to *30-31mpg (hwy) over a full tank. The TDI was racking up serious hwy miles in the previous month and count ourselves lucky as the notorious lifter noise failure was heard in the driveway. AAA Road Service to the rescue with the 100 mi tow to the shop. The 505.01 spec oil had been used throughout with the weightier 5w-40 505.01 starting at 20k miles or so. The OCI had been reduced to 7,500 miles starting since new verses VWs recommended OCI of 10K miles.

As an afterthought .... what would it have cost VW to spec a premium metallurgy cam at production time?

The 1.9 KermaTuned TDI once again runs like a champ, namely a nice highway cruiser; +38-40mpg @ 70+mph ain't bad.

*Paper & pencil calculation.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts