VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
See here.
http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q_how_to/a3b4/bigbrakes.htm

Not sure about cost, but if you buy all new parts, it;ll be more. As a very rough estimate, $150 for 2 brake calipers, $150 for 2 brake carriers, $150 for 2 rotors. I could be way off on the prices, but a +1 size to the corrado brakes is already about $500 and you need 15" wheels minimum. A +2 sized brake adds a master cylinder and the misc parts are a little more expensive, so you are looking at maybe $700.

J

·
0 Posts
It depends. A jetta would also benefit from a rear conversion to disc brakes.

I always tell people to try brake pads first, the hawk hps are pretty decent. You'd be surprise how much softer brake pads and rotors would increase braking force. They make more dust though, OEM brake pads are generally less dusty, but stop worse. More stopping power normally means more dust, sorry!

CCBB, has anyone tried a brake cylinder brace? I've never seen one for the VW.

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
Sorry for posting an incomplete link, after I posted it I realized that it needed some big improvements. It's now fixed and greatly updated.

There are a few articles floating around that need fixing and are in rough drafts.

The brakes are worth the money IMO. Front brakes will last a long time, but if you are replacing the pads, rotors, and your car has high miles, it's not much trouble to replace the carriers and calipers with larger units.

As for stopping power, each step is a big improvement. Keep in mind that you need at least 15" wheels and your tires need to be able to handle the extra stopping force. My car doesn't have ABS either, but I think it was an option on some jettas.

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
Okay, I have updated the page big time.

I have included quite a few aftermarket and OEM bolt on kits. I'm sure there are a lot more options but they would require customization. All the kits listed on the page are direct bolt on or bolt on with a 5 lug conversion.

·
Premium Member
114 Posts
So to use the 5 lug brake kits you have to change your suspension to the VR6 setup? Why not just use the 5 lug converter plate?

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
The converter plates act like a wheel spacer and it will move your wheel out. If your brakes don't clear the wheels and the wheels are too far inboard I suppose that it's okay.

But the spacer/converters have to bolt to your hub, then the wheel bolts to that. I don't like.

ECS tuning sells a whole bolt on hub drilled out to lug. However, the 11" corrado 4 lug rotors won't work unless you drill them out to 5 lug. The VR6 rotors are a different hub offset and won't work.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts