VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just did my timing belt change on my 2006 TDI BRM engine and it went slow but well. I torqued everything to the correct spec but as I drove it for the first time I noticed an odd wobble at idle. Just a slight shimmy that doesn't seem rythmic but a little random. What happened? It seemed to smooth out on the first three times I drove it but that's as far as I have driven. Will it totally even out? Is it unrelated but now I noticed it where before I had not? Do I need to go back in there?

Thanks,

Byron

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I am hoping it is just due to new belts with the felt on them wearing in. I should probably go back in and check the timing belt tensioner position and torque, idler torque, ballancer torque, cam sprocket bolt torques as well as checking the timing if I can. Please help if you have seen this before, I am very nervous I am going to destroy my engine or something.

Byron

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
If you torqued everything down correctly, I would not go back and re-torque them since you may end up messing something up. The belt cover could have been put on incorrectly and is rubbing. Make sure the belt is tracking correctly and the tensioner tab is in place. There should not be any noise that was not there before. You can use a screwdriver with the handle to your ear to help isolate the noise - it acts like a stethoscope if you put the tip on something.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the tips! I actually have a mechanical stethoscope used for my job as an engineer, how sad/geeky is that! So the wobble seems to have gone. I have several ideas on what it may have been and I would love your opinion on weather there is any validity to one of them.

I will describe it better if I can. So when I finished the belt job I started the engine and stood in front to watch the thermo open and suck in the coolant from the bottle so I could add more. The engine sounded beautiful! when I got in to move it and drive home I felt several shutters/wobbles in my rear end as I sat in the seat. They were random so it wasnt like a valve contacting and they would last a second.

Here are my ideas for you to shoot holes in.

One, I am imagining it. Two, The cam sensor noticed the slightest difference in position and messed with the computer resetting the injector timing or somehow "rebooting" based on the small difference. Three, there was air in the coolant system and those air pockets were burping out. Four, I had to mess with the fuel filter, dismounting it and pulling it out of the way, maybe broke something lose or got an air pocket in there? (I changed that about 10K miles ago) Five, my torqued cam sprocket bolts shifted because of uneven pressure on either side of the belt. six, the serpentine belt had some felt covering on it and needed to break in.

Now I am getting exhauasted thinking about "what ifs" for a problem that has gone away. I am always scared of the problems with cars that mysteriously "fix themselves". My wife drove it and says it feels fine so I am leaning towards previously stated option one (imagining it).

Thanks for any advice. i think i am going to pull the cover and look!

Byron

·
Registered
5 Posts
My thought is the tensioner. I just did my 100k belt etc, and the only item that wasn't a smooth drop in was it!
I had to adjust it 4 times. tab was inserted correctly, but the stud seemed to flex when installing. The belt needed to be centered on all the pulleys and belt turned a few times to check the tracking then tension with the new nut.
A led light should let you see the tension pulley and if it wobbles. good luck.
Let us know how it went.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts