VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

My online vendor sent me a Graf water pump with plastic impeller. Has somebody bad experience with this water pump. Shall I exchange for the one with metal impeller.

Thanks for any advice

·
Premium Member
5,942 Posts
People tend to recomend the one with the metal impeller and I've not come accross the plastic one so can't really say wether it's any good or not.:)

welcometomyturbodies

·
Premium Member
9,720 Posts
Welcome to the forum. welcometomyturbodies

Some replacement water pumps will have plastic impellers its nothing to worry about, they are lighter and don't rust.

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
Hi

My online vendor sent me a Graf water pump with plastic impeller. Has somebody bad experience with this water pump. Shall I exchange for the one with metal impeller.

Thanks for any advice
Some plastic impellers fail at the shaft and spin, causing the water pump to not move internally. It's rare but it does happen. The metal ones can fail at the bearing but I've never heard of the impeller separating. So they can both fail but if I had a choice, I'd go metal.

·
Premium Member
9,720 Posts
Well he's obviously bought a cheaper pump with the plastic impellor to save money, thats his choice?

·
Premium Member
179 Posts
I had a plastic type water pump for 103k miles with no problems but when it was changed it was fitted with a metal type as that's what was sent from the dealer.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had a 2000 Jetta GLS (NA 2.0L) a few years back. Around 95,000 miles it began to have an overheating problem which was, after replacing the thermostat and the removal of about $650 from my bank account, determined to be caused by a broken plastic impeller in my water pump. It was replaced by my mechanic with a metal one. I'm pretty sure I remember him saying that the shaft would spin freely once the temperature reached a certain level and, since the impeller wouldn't be spinning with the shaft, no coolant was circulated.

I don't know if they changed the specs on the pumps with plastic impellers since then, but I've been extremely wary of them since.:eek

1 - 8 of 8 Posts