VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just had the water pump go out on our 2002 Jetta TDI. It was replaced during a TB change about 30000 miles ago (less than 2 years). Haven't pulled it yet but coolant is coming from that area, has recently been squealing from that area, and I can see that the WP pulley is not aligned with the others (slightly angled) with the TB cover pulled. I guess this is from the bearings being destroyed.

What is the typical lifespan of a water pump? Any warranty on them? Plan on doing the work myself but hope to not repeat every two years. Will replace the TB at the same time as it likely got soaked in coolant.

Planning to replace the TB on our 2006 Jetta TDI soon too so lots of fun in the future.

Tom

·
Premium Member
5,942 Posts
Did you fit it yourself or did someone else maybe skimp on it and fit a cheap one? Could also be a flaw in it I suppose or over tensioned belt or something. They should really last as long as the timing belt, longer in fact, you only replace them because of the possibility of it going and then having to redo everything as you are now.:)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I didn't replace it myself. It my have been a cheap one but they charged almost $200 just for the water pump according to the invoice. Will certainly put in a quality one this time for sure.

Tom

·
Premium Member
5,942 Posts
The thing is that garages can charge you a price but not pay the same price themselves, it might just be you were unlucky on this occassion though. Hopefuly the next one will last a bit longer.:)

·
Premium Member
736 Posts
there is a link somewhere with recommended suppliers as well as which suppliers to avoid. I recently ordered mine TB kit with tools and shipping about 280 $. Dealer wanted 115 for belt and 125 for water pump only. good luck

·
Registered
23 Posts
2 cents

It is a cheap change to replace the water pump with each timing belt change. Be sure to have distilled water added with the pink VW coolent.

·
Premium Member
9,674 Posts
There is no normal lifespan for a water pump it all come down to the quality of the materials and timing belt tension, you get what you pay for. In the UK you generally have a 12 month warranty on replacement parts.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I talked to the garage and the water pump has a 3 year warranty so that will be covered. Of course the labor isn't covered so I will be doing that myself; the garage has offered to lend assistance if needed and to loan out any special tools. Thanks for all the input.

Tom

1 - 8 of 8 Posts