VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I thought I'd look up the wastegate turbo seeing as myself and others still have them on our cars and I found this video on youtube, the guy I think is pretty spot on and I found the vid pretty informative and interesting. I will try to add more info as I find it and hopefully maybe even vag specific stuff.:)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PA5T5PnWE-k

If anyone knows of good info feel free to add it so we can build a good faq on it, cheers.:)

·
Premium Member
5,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeh I know but it was the best one I've found so far but I'll keep looking, I'm sure there'll be more out there somewhere.:)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Very nice, EXCEPT almost no TDI models have a wastegate.

Our cars use vacuum actuated variable vanes. Different tech to accomplish the same thing.

Advantage of variable vanes is that boost can start at lower RPM and stay more or less constant for flatter, wider torque curve.

P.

·
Premium Member
5,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wrong dude, I have a wastegate and so do your older tdi cars, feel free to start a thread on the vnt by all means though.:)

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
i've always thought it odd that your 2000 car has a gate. cause my '98 beetle has veins, and its two years older!

I think VW quit using gates in '98, and moved on the the glorious sticky veins lol
but i've heard of gates getting stuck also.

now on to more waste gate operation matters... :D
is it controlled by the actual exhaust gas pressure on ALL applications? or do some cars control it with the ecm via a vacuum actuator like the veins on 'newer' cars?

·
Premium Member
5,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
They're controlled in the usual way by an actuator and a vacuum line from the N75, all the exhaust does is spin the impeller and when pressure reaches it's max as told to the ecu by the map sensor the N75 opens which in turn opens the wastegate to allow excess boost to go free out the tail pipe.:)

I think someone didn't watch the video or didn't listen to what the guy was saying:D

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
I thought he said that the boost signal had to come from the compressor housing or the charged side of the intake (intercooler piping). I don't recall him saying anything about a controller from the ecm in the video.
It makes sense to me that the pressure in the charge pipe is routed to the waste gate actuator and when it overcomes the force of the spring, it opens the gate.
But I don't understand why they complicate things by making the ecm control it :dunno

1 - 8 of 8 Posts