VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Jetta 2006 that has an exhaust leak around the shaft of the waste gate. I believe that is the waste gate which is below the exhaust manifold with a pipe that runs up to the exhaust manifold. There is black soot from the leaking exhaust gases around the area. It also makes a hissing sound that you can hear easily. The waste gate is controlled by I believe by pressure connected to a diaphragm. The leak is around the shaft where the diaphragm (pressure unit) is connected by a rod. I have a Bently service manual but it is very weak on the turbo service. Where can I find parts? Is my description correct on naming the parts?

·
Registered
482 Posts
Is this a TDI? If so, there is no wastegate. It uses a VNT actuator which looks like a wastegate but works the opposite way. It is controlled by vacuum. If its vacuum line is leaking replace it but it won't puff soot. The other pipe in that area is the EGR. If it's cracked or leaking it will leak exhaust.

·
Premium Member
5,942 Posts
Yeah I think it's probably the egr pipe you're seeing, it's a narrow pipe which goes from the top of the exhaust manifold up to the egr valve on the inlet manifold. My tdi has a waste gate but it's right down the back and you can't see it. It expels excess boost straight into the exhaust and isn't visible. The turbo bolts onto the manifold and then the down pipe bolts on to the turbo. You should have a look in the how to index and faq at the top of the page, it's got some good stuff on turbos.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts